Just when we thought this election would never be over, we find ourselves in the final week of the campaign. The presidential race is close nationwide. Here in Texas, different pollsters predict that Trump will win by anywhere from 2 points to 9 points. Either way, it's a victory for Democrats.
In 2008, Senator John McCain won Texas by 12 points ahead of now President Barack Obama. In 2012, Governor Mitt Romney won Texas by 16 points ahead of President Obama. Not only are Texas voters in record numbers during early voting, it appears that Secretary Hillary Clinton may cut the Republican-Democratic gap in half ... at least! The narrowing of this gap shows that Democratic voters are making their move. We must stick to it. As the old expression goes, "If you throw enough mud on the fence, some of it will stick!" And that's right. We, Democrats, aren't giving up, and we're not going away.
Though Texas is a "winner take all" state with regard to electoral votes, the closeness of this presidential election is already having an effect on the down ballot races. With voter turnout up, and with many Democrats voting "straight ticket," the presidential election is boosting the votes for House District and other Democratic candidates. Already, it looks like Dallas County Democrats may pick up 2-3 seats in the Texas Legislature, and some of those are against Republican incumbents!
Of course, just as the Texas farmer knows not to "count the chickens before they hatch," we, Democrats know not to count our wins until the polls close. We also know we must keep working hard for our candidates up until the very end. So, here's where you come in!
Our goal is to win, of course. To bring victory to our down ballot Democratic candidates, and to show the world how close we are to taking back Texas, the Dallas County Democratic Party (DCDP) needs your help. Please participate every way you can:
1) Knocking on doors: This Saturday and Sunday is our last weekend to knock on doors of Democrats who have not yet voted. Meet us Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 9:30am and/or 12:30pm at Fretz Park Dallas, 6994 Beltline Road, Dallas, Texas 75254. On Sunday, November 6, 2016, meet at 12:30pm at Senter Recreation Center (by the pool) at 901 Senter Road, Irving, Texas 75060. Never done this? Never fear. Training will be provided. Also, in honor of the Cubs' World Series win, we are providing free hotdogs to all volunteers!
2) On Monday, November 7, 2016, we need volunteers to help us install 150 signs at polling locations throughout Dallas County. If you can help, call DCDP Coordinated Campaign Director Zach Bullard at 214-821-8331.
3) On Monday, November 7, 2016 and on Tuesday, November 8, 2016 (Election Day), we need folks to make phone calls to Democratic voters who have not yet voted. Calls will be made from the DCDP office at 4209 Parry Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75223. Bring your cell phone and charger cord. We'll provide the lists.
4) On Election Day, we need volunteers to serve as poll greeters at various polling locations. If you are willing to greet voters with a smile on Tuesday, November 8, 2016, call DCDP Office Manager Sidonia ("Sid") Browhow at 214-821-8331 and tell her what polling location is nearest you.
5) If you have more money than time, and/or can't volunteer in any of the above positions, please consider making a donation to the Dallas County Democratic Party this week to help our efforts to elect qualified Democrats in Dallas County. You can make an online donation at www.dallasdemocrats.org or you can send a check, payable to "DCDP," to 4209 Parry Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75223.
Whatever you can do will be appreciated, and your work will move us forward in our efforts to elect a great slate of Democratic candidates. Thank you.