How do you prepare for
an online interview?
Did you know that, according to Forbes Magazine, more than 60% of companies are conducting job interviews online via Skype?
In today's global workplace, the Skype interview is a fast, inexpensive, and convenient recruitment tool. Interviewing through Skype brings challenges and opportunities. With the right preparation, you can excel in your online interview and successfully land your next job!
|Top 6 Tips to Ace Your
1. Dress for Success
- Treat it like an in-person interview - dress in business attire from head to toe.
2. Establish a Professional Environment
- Determine an appropriate interview space and arrange a quiet area to eliminate background noise.
- Ensure a neat work area and simple background. Suggestions:
- Solid or simple pattern colored wall
- Organized bookshelf or desk
- Avoid plain white background, windows, or a busy background that may distract the interviewer.
- Keep your resume and other appropriate documents, including questions for the interviewer, close at hand.
3. Check Your Equipment
- Ensure you are connected to high speed internet.
- Test your webcam and microphone to verify that you are seen and heard clearly.
- Confirm that your Skype username and status are appropriate and professional.
4. Control the Lighting
- Be seen at your best. Too much or too little light can make it difficult for the interviewer to see you clearly.
5. Ensure Professional Body Language
- Treat the online interview the same as you would in person.
- Be conscious of your body language and maintain good posture.
- Keep hand gestures to a minimal.
- Maintain good eye contact by looking directly into the camera rather than at the interviewer's or your own image.
- Remember to smile!
6. Practice Makes Perfect
- Ask a friend or colleague to conduct a mock interview with you on Skype.
- Dress in your interview outfit and sit with good posture.
- Practice speaking audibly and clearly, and looking into the webcam.
- With a few practice sessions, you will be comfortable and prepared to ace your Skype interview!
Arlene Newman's Upcoming Career Workshops & Courses
on interviewing, personal branding, and networking
Mar. 27 - Baruch CollegeAlumni Career Conference
Jan. - Apr. 2013 - Baruch College teaching 10-week
Success Strategies to Land a
New Job in 2013
Recruiting and Interviewing program
Job Search Strategies
Discover your competitive advantage by collaborating with Arlene Newman, President of Career Bound Success, and her team. We work with professionals, alumni, and college students providing them with skills to successfully land jobs!
With more than 20 years of Human Resources experience, we coach clients on resumes, interviewing, networking, personal branding, and negotiating competitive salaries.