UPPER SCHOOL PANTHER PAUSE
August 4, 2016
From the Director's Desk
Welcome to this year's first issue of the UNHP Panther Pause newsletter! As I begin my 14th year as a part of the Uplift North Hills family, I am honored and humbled to return as the Upper School Director at such a special school. Returning with me on the US Admin team are Katie Biela, US Dean of Instruction; Deborah Hargrove, US Dean of Students; and Jakkia Hollingsworth, Dean of College Prep.
Our hope is that your summer has been filled with rest, fun, and things that make you happy! In June, family and I spent a blissful week on the beach in Navarre, Florida looking for seashells, playing in the waves, and spending time with family. In July, several UNHP administrators and I had the privilege of attending the IB Conference of the Americas in Toronto where we met other IB educators from around the world and gathered ideas that will make our outstanding IB programs even better!
Each week, through the Panther Pause, we will provide you with important information that affects you and your Upper School scholars. We also hope to provide insight into our scholars' accomplishments, the many different activities taking place at UNHP, and opportunities for community service. Thank you in advance for reading along with us each week! NEW this year, we will be increasing our use of Facebook to share information and foster a sense of community. If you haven't already, be sure to LIKE the UNHP Facebook page!
North Hills is such an incredible learning community that has become HOME to its many teachers, students, parents, and community members. Since North Hills is HOME, and HOME is where the heart is, North Hills is definitely #WhereTheHeartIs, which is our hashtag for the year!
So to our new Upper School families,
We are a community that celebrates diversity and encourages curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity.
We are ready to meet you and excited to help you make North Hills the place where you learn and grow and THRIVE! To our returning families,
WELCOME BACK HOME!
It is because of your partnership that UNHP Upper School consistently ranks as one of the top schools in both Texas and the country. We are looking forward partnering with ALL of you for another GREAT year!
Upper School Director
Upcoming Upper School Events
- Saturday, August 6: Panther Roundup, 8:00 am - 11:00 am
- Tuesday, August 9: 1st Day of the 2015 - 2016 school year & PICTURE DAY (Monday Formal Dress required)
- Tuesday, August 9 & Wednesday, August 10: Senior Leadership Academy
- Thursday, August 11: US Cross Country try outs (see below)
- Friday, August 12: US Pep Rally
- Tuesday, August 16: Home Volleyball Game vs. Dallas Life, JV/V, 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, August 17:
- Upper School Meet the Coaches Night, 5:00 pm, SAC
- Upper School Meet the Teacher Night, 6:00 pm
- Upper School New Families Social, 8:30 pm in the East Commons
- Monday, August 22: Grades 9 & 10 Curriculum Night, 6:00 pm in the East Commons
- Thursday, August 25: 9th Grade Road To College (RTC) Trip to SMU
- Monday, August 29: Grades 11 & 12 Curriculum Night, 6:00 pm in the East Commons
- Tuesday, August 25: Home Volleyball Game vs. South Oak Cliff, JV/V, 5:30 pm
- Monday, September 5: Labor Day Holiday--NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday, September 7:
- Pre-ACT/ACT (Grades 9 - 11)
- UNHP Town Hall with CEO Yasmin Bhatia, SAC, 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, September 13: Home Volleybal Game vs. Roosevelt HS, JV/V, 6:00 pm
- Thursday, September 15: RTC College Fair @ UNHP
- Tuesday, September 20: Home Volleyball Game vs. Lincoln HS, JV/V, 6:00 pm
- Thursday, September 22: UNHP K-12 Parent Update, 6:00 pm, SAC
- Tuesday, September 27: Home Volleyball Game vs. Ranchview HS, JV/V, 6:00 pm
- Friday, September 30: Home Volleyball Game vs. Carter HS, JV/V, 6:00 pm
- Thursday, October 6: Scholar Half Day (12:40 pm Secondary Release)
- Friday, October 7: Scholar Holiday--NO SCHOOL
Tag Us In Your First Day of School Pictures!
Join us for the 2016 Panther Roundup!
Saturday, August 6, we will hold our annual all-school
PANTHER ROUNDUP and PANCAKE BREAKFAST! For only $5 per person, with a maximum of $20 per family, you can support our Athletic Booster Club and enjoy a pancake breakfast before picking up your child's schedule! The griddles will be hot and ready to serve you and your family at 8:00 am in the Primary Cafeteria!
US counselors will begin handing out student schedules at 8:00 am, and at 10:00 am, the US Admin Team will hold a special meet and greet for new-to-UNHP families. Student Ambassadors will be on hand to help our newest students walk their schedule and locate their classrooms. Informational tables will be set up in both the Old Gym and the SAC from 8:00 am to 11:00 am to provide you with everything you need to know for back-to-school.
We hope to see you and your family on AUGUST 6th!
Secondary Uniform Policy Changes and Reminders
As you are making your last-minute uniform purchases, please keep the following in mind from our 2016 - 2017 uniform policy:
- No Blazers or Ties until October: Due to the scorching Texas heat, blazers and ties will not be required as part of the Monday Dress Uniform until Monday, October 5. However, both ties AND blazers should be worn on the first day of school, August 9, for Picture Day. Scholars whose families contribute to the VIP Campaign may choose to wear a UNHP polo on Mondays instead of the formal dress shirt for duration of the year.
- UNHP Spirit T-Shirts & College T-Shirts on Fridays: Starting Friday, August 12, Secondary students are encouraged to wear either a college t-shirt or any UNHP Spirit t-shirt (Homecoming t-shirts, Club t-shirts, athletic team t-shirts, etc.) on Fridays. Students in grades 9 - 11 may choose to wear a college/UNHP Spirit t-shirt with their regular uniform bottoms, while Seniors may choose to wear a college/UNHP Spirit t-shirt with jeans. College and UNHP Spirit T-Shirts may only be worn on Fridays and are not an acceptable part of the Tuesday - Thursday uniform.
- Shoe Policy: Please refer to the 2016 - 2017 Scholar Handbook if you have any questions regarding the shoe policy that is new for this school year. Please note: all shoes must be leather shoes; no canvas shoes are permitted.
- Acceptable Polos for Tuesday - Thursday Uniform: New polos purchased through Parker Uniform will be the official Uplift North Hills polo. However, all previously produced North Hills polos in good condition are acceptable as part of the Tuesday - Thursday uniform, including NHP polos and TNHS polos.
- Skirt Length: Please make sure that girls' skirt lengths are no more than 3 inches in length (approximately the length of a credit card) from the crease in the back of the knee.
2016 - 2017 School Year Calendar & Important Dates
Summer Reading Assignments
All scholars in grades 6 - 12 are required to complete summer reading assignments. These assignments are due on the 1st day of school, August 9, 2016. Scholars can access the specific reading lists and assignments for their grades on our website under "Student Resources," or by clicking here. Please direct any questions to the individual English teacher or Ms. Lauren Trebert, our ELA Department Chair for Grades 6 - 12.
We believe that physical activity is an integral component of a scholar's intellectual and emotional development. The athletic program at UNHP is designed to complement and foster our academic goals. We offer every scholar the opportunity to participate in a variety of programs provided they are able to maintain a level of academic performance consistent with our school mission. Our goal is the development of our scholars who are able to meet and balance the demands of rigorous curriculum as well as the challenges of our sports program. Each week, we will provide an athletic update with scores and highlights from our different sports!
MEET THE COACHES NIGHT
We are thrilled to invite you to the annual Meet the Coaches Night on Wednesday, August 17, from 5:00 to 6:00 PM in our Student Activity Center. Join us to learn about last year's athletic accomplishments, hear an explanation of all athletic fees, receive information regarding Athletic Booster Club membership, as well as discuss current plans for the new year. In addition to a general question-answer session, each coach will also be available to explain his/her scholar-athlete expectations.
We are looking forward to meeting each of you on the evening of August 17th! We need the support of each and every parent in order to have another outstanding athletic year; please make every effort to attend this exciting kickoff event for our scholar-athletes! I
f you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Athletic Director, Coach Kennith Gober at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you love to run? Are you fast and want to be faster? Come have some FUN and RUN for the US Cross Country Team!
We will start morning practices/tryouts on Thursday, August 11 from 6:30 am - 7:30 am. Meet at the SAC.
All interested students
have physicals in order to run on the team. Physicals are good for one year, so if you had a physical in April, you can run without having to have another physical. All athletic forms can be found on the school website by clicking here. Please print off the forms, have them filled out and signed properly, and turn them in to Coach Oldham on Thursday morning before try-outs.
HAVE SOME FUN, SHOW SOME SCHOOL SPIRIT, AND COME RUN!!!!!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Coach Oldham at email@example.com