Crime has become a critical issue here in Anchorage. With three children, I too am concerned about the rise in crime in our great city. Over the past several weeks I have been meeting with public safety leaders including:
- A ride along with an Anchorage Police Department officer
- Met with the Attorney General and the Department of Law
- Talked with members of the Alaska Criminal Justice Commission
- Sat through various court cases, including a murder trial
- Toured our local Fire Station 7
- Worked with Priceless, an organization dedicated to fighting sex trafficking
- Toured Beans Cafe to hear how they deal with crime issues in their area
Dealing with crime is a complicated issue, with many different factors. Given that crime rates have been on the rise for several years, we need to be looking more deeply for the root causes. We need to find quick solutions but long term ones as well.
Please join myself and Representative Matt Claman for an upcoming town hall on the issues facing our community and how we can work together to improve safety in our neighborhoods.