|SUSA Board members at 12th Sakyadhita Conference in Bangkok, June 2011. Susmita Barua, Rev. Michaela O'Connor Bono, Hsiao-Lan Hu, Carol Winkelmann, Elise DeVido (Vice President) and Diana Ingalls-Farrell (Treasurer).|
Sakyadhita USA (SUSA) is completing its first year as a new national branch of Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women.
SUSA's officers and board members, who took office at the beginning of 2011, are working hard to create an organization that will become a home to Buddhist women in the United States, across all traditions and ethnicities.
During the first half of this year, we have accomplished a number of important tasks:
- We elected Officers and a Board of Directors and set up an Advisory Board.
- We established an organizational infrastructure, including a bank account, membership database and email announcement service (Constant Contact).
- We increased paid-annual memberships in SUSA from 10 to 50.
- On June 1, we completed and submitted to the United Nations an application for Sakyadhita International (SI, our mother organization) to receive status as an NGO in ECOSOC. We will hear in late summer if NGO status will be awarded. If successful, this will give all the national branches of Sakyadhita access to UN resources, including grant funding, for our projects.
- We supported the 12th Sakyadhita International Conference on Buddhist Women, held in Bangkok, Thailand, in June, by drafting and sending out email conference announcements to the 2500-member Sakyadhita International mailing list.
- We set up a display of promotional materials about Sakyadhita USA at the Bangkok conference where we passed out brochures, collected email addresses and signed up several new members.
- At monthly Board meetings via Skype and telephone, we are making plans for 2012.
Sakyadhita promotional table at the Bangkok conference. SUSA Treasurer Diana Ingalls-Farrell with a Sakyadhita Mongolia branch member.
This is where you can get involved!
Join Sakyadhita USA and help us double our membership to 100 by December 31, 2011!
Please join us in working toward Sakyadhita's objectives for Buddhist women in the United States. You can--
- Support Buddhist women in the U.S. by joining Sakyadhita USA! General 1-year membership is $30. Use the PayPal Donate button below.
- If you are already a member, give a membership as a year-end gift to a friend or a nun. (For Student, Nun, or Unemployed, it's only $10.) For more information about memberships, visit the SUSA membership page.
- If you want to know more, sign up to receive email updates about Sakyadhita USA events and projects using the button at the top of this page. Visit the SUSA website for more information.
- Forward this email to a friend!
Join now. SUSA General Annual Membership for $30.
Thank you for your interest in the work of Sakyadhita USA. Many thanks for your generosity and kindness in supporting SUSA's mission and activities for the coming year.
May our love and compassion for all beings increase,
Charlotte Collins, President/Executive Director
Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women/USA