Dear Valued Girl Scout Volunteers:
As we assess the needs of our NYC Girl Scout Community, we remain deeply touched by all of the stories of New York City Girl Scouts coming together and helping their sister Girl Scouts and their communities in Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts.
Below are some of the efforts we are organizing at the Council level:
- On November 17, Girl Scouts will gather at our 22nd Annual Concert Grove Clean-Up in Prospect Park from 10am-1pm. We will be collecting food and supplies for shelters currently housing displaced families due to Hurricane Sandy, City Harvest, and affected NYC Girl Scout troops and families. For additional information, please see the attached flyer.
- We have received countless requests for volunteer opportunities. We are updating www.girlscoutsnyc.org regularly as more opportunities arise.
- For those who are applying for disaster relief through FEMA or other organizations, Senator Gillibrand has published the following resource: A Guide to Disaster Assistance and Relief Funding
- We are currently in the process of organizing "Girl Scout Comfort Center events throughout the affected areas offering programming for children and resources for parents. We will keep you posted with further information as dates and locations are solidified. If you would like to volunteer your site and help organize an event, please let us know.
- We will be hosting Girl Scout Volunteer "Share Sessions" in each of the boroughs to connect volunteers interested in on-going support efforts, provide resources to Leaders to help girls dealing with trauma, and combine efforts to get/give assistance to those in need.
If you are in need of assistance or know of others who need assistance, please contact us at the Girl Scout Council to let us know how we can help.
Please also share how you are helping in relief efforts on our facebook page.
Yours in Girl Scouting,
Director of Programs