The Costa Family
1. Please introduce your family and share the your bed address plus the date you joined VISTA Gardens?
My name is Julio, my wife is Monica and we have two boys: Julian is seven and Nicholas is five. Our garden bed is at #5 Cantaloupe Court.
2. What interested you in starting your garden?
The main thing for us it was about a sense of community. Since we joined the garden it's amazing the number of times we have bumped into fellow gardeners around the neighborhood. Also, we wanted to teach our kids to grow food and encourage them to eat healthy.
3. What do you like to grow? What are your "go to" plants?
We started strawberries last year and it was a success. There were a lot of people that came to us and asked how we did and, to be honest, we have no idea. We took tips from everyone that offered and took them to heart. Carrots are great for the kids as they get very excited as they pull them out and start eating (after we wash them, of course).
4. What's your favorite activity/time of day at the garden?
We love spending the time with the kids but they are very active so they last ten minutes gardening and the rest running around the garden.
5. What is one thing you'd like us to know about you?
We love hiking the many local parks in our area. Recently we completed the Hiking Spree event sponsored by Hillsborough where we hiked several trails leading us to beautiful locations including Lithia Springs.