The National Board of Directors of the World Affairs Councils of America is pleased to announce that we will be offering 25 scholarships for college undergraduate students from our national network to attend the 2015 National Conference, Leading America: Foreign Policy Challenges and the 2016 Election, November 11-13, 2015 at The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel in Washington, DC.
The WACA Board is offering these scholarships in order to fulfill our mission and responsibility as a national association dedicated to the education of the American public and to preparing our future leaders for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century. The 2015 National Conference promises to be a very special opportunity for our network of Council leaders, members, and friends to engage in a discussion of the critical issues facing us as a nation with many of the leading policy makers and analysts in national security. The WACA Board wants to ensure that, in partnership with you, this opportunity is available to our future leaders.
We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to make our 2015 Conference available to a very important audience: our promising undergraduate scholars. The scholarship includes registration fees plus $1000 per student to be used towards travel, lodging, and/or incidentals. The scholarship will be implemented as follows:
- Notification of the scholarship opportunity must be publicized by the respective participating Councils in a substantial manner to their members and local educational institutions in order to attract the best potential candidates.
- Each Council executive may nominate one college undergraduate student, 18 years or older. High school and graduate students are not eligible.
- Students who attend the conference will be expected to blog and post on social media (twitter, facebook, Instagram, etc.) before, during, and after the National Conference. The student's ability to do so should be taken into consideration by Councils during the nomination process.
- Students who attend the Conference will be required to submit a two-page report on their experience. The deadline to do so will be December 15, 2015.
- Each nomination must be submitted with the Nomination Form and must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the Council head explaining why the student has been selected for consideration for this scholarship.
- The students nominated by the Council will be selected by the National Office in consultation with the WACA National Board of Directors and will be announced no later than October 7, 2015.
- The National Office will confirm the nominee's selection to the Council and will register the nominee for the National Conference.
- The National Office will then provide a scholarship check of $1000 per student participating, written to the Council to help cover travel, lodging, and any other expenses for the scholarship winner. Councils are responsible for making these arrangements with/for the nominees and we hope that you will take advantage of the discounted block rate at The Fairfax at Embassy Row Hotel.
Council Executives, this is a competitive program and we hope that you will participate by nominating excellent candidates. We also hope that you will encourage your Council members and board members to
for the 2015 National Conference. Please see the recently confirmed speakers below, and let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!