The WACA Board, in partnership with The Gambrinus Company and Mr. Carlos Alvarez, is offering these scholarships in order to fulfill our educational mission and to prepare future leaders for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century. The Conference -- coming right after the midterm elections -- promises to be a special occasion for our network of Council leaders, members, friends, and students to engage with many leading policy makers and analysts about critical foreign and trade policy issues and America's role in the world.
We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to make the WACA 2018 National Conference available to a very important audience: our promising undergraduate scholars. The scholarship includes
registration fees plus $1,000 per student to be used towards travel, lodging, and/or incidentals.
Eligibility & Expectations
- World Affairs Councils must publicize the WACA scholarship opportunity in a substantial manner to their members and local educational institutions in order to attract the best potential candidates.
- Each Council executive may nominate one college undergraduate student, 18 years or older, from their local Council communities.
- High school students, undergraduates studying in Washington, DC, and graduate students are not eligible.
- Each nomination must be submitted with the Nomination Form and must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the Council head explaining why the student has been selected for consideration for this scholarship.
- Students who attend the Conference will be expected to blog and post on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) before, during, and after the WACA Conference. The student's ability to do so should be considered by Councils during the nomination process.
- Students who attend the Conference will be required to submit a two-page report on their experience. The deadline to do so is Monday, December 3, 2018.
- Nominations are due by Friday, September 21, 2018. Send the completed Nomination Form and accompanying nomination letter to Liz Brailsford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominated students will be reviewed by the National Office in consultation with the WACA National Board of Directors. Selections will be announced the week of September 24.
- The National Office will confirm the selected undergraduates to their Councils and will register these participants for the 2018 Conference.
- WACA will then provide a scholarship check of $1,000 per selected student, made out to the Council, to help cover travel, lodging, and other expenses for the scholarship recipient. Councils are responsible for making these arrangements with/for the selected students.
- We strongly urge scholarship participants to make every effort to book rooms at WACA's discounted group rate at The Mayflower Hotel.
Council leaders, this is a competitive program and we look forward to receiving nominations of excellent candidates. We also hope that you will encourage your Council members and board members to
for the 2018 National Conference. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you to our generous sponsor: