We all want the kids to get as much playing time as they can, but all too often, games don't go the full 6 or 7 innings. Here are some tips to get complete games in:
- Make sure players know where they are going on defense BEFORE the 3rd out. Post defensive line-ups and/or make sure your bench coach communicates playing positions proactively.
- There's no walking on ball fields! Encourage players to have their gloves and run to their positions as soon as the 3rd out is made.
- Have a coach warm-up your pitcher if your catcher is not ready.
- Eliminate "conferences" before taking the field - if necessary, huddle when you come off the field but don't delay the next batter.
- Encourage your batters to "keep one foot in the box" and be ready for the next pitch.
These tips can easily save 15 or 20 minutes per game and that can make a difference in getting a complete game in!