Saving Grace Perishable Food Rescue
Our grassroots movement to rescue excess perishable food to feed the hungry is growing!
1.8 Million Pounds of Food Rescued in Four Years!
Thanks for sharing in our success! Saving Grace Perishable Food Rescue celebrated four years of rescuing and delivering excess perishable food to feed the hungry on Sept. 30. September's donations helped us reach another milestone - 1.8 million pounds of perishable food rescued since operations began!  Value of this donated food exceeds $3.2 million.

Saving Grace celebrated its fourth anniversary of rescuing and redistributing perishable food by taking part in Food Day on Sept. 30. From left are team members Randy Hansen, Judy Rydberg, Tracy Wells and Michael Magnuson.  
It's gratifying to see community support grow over the years for our vision of feeding the hungry by rescuing the heartland's b ounty that would otherwise go to waste. We started with just three fo od donors, and the food was delivered to three food pantries. Fast forward to today and we now pick up from 37 food donors and deliver to 30 nonprofit partner agencies that use the donated food to feed our hungry neighbors.

Our two refrigerated trucks are currently operating at capacity. A third truck will soon join the fleet, enabling us to continue to expand operations.

Efforts to educate the community about food waste and hunger also are expanding. Food for Thought - A Rescued Food Experience and the Ultimate Food Truck Event both launched this year. Find out more about these initiatives elsewhere in this newsletter. And watch for a unique collaborative event coming during the first quarter of 2018!

This success is possible because of our many food donors, nonprofit partner agencies, financial supporters and others who believe in our mission. Together, we are changing the way Omaha thinks about food waste and hunger. On behalf of our neighbors who benefit from this support, thank you!
Tickets Available for Holiday-themed Food for Thought

Thursday, November 2, 5 to 7 p.m.
Koenig/Dunne Law Firm, 1266 S 13th St

Join Saving Grace Perishable Food Rescue for the second installment of Food for Thought - A Rescued Food Experience.  Dine on holiday hors d'oeuvres created by a local chef using rescued foods and hear a message on holiday food prep, reducing holiday food waste and smart cooking. 

This event is a one-of-a-kind collaboration between Saving Grace Persiahble Food Rescue, local chefs and individuals who are passionate about food waste, food rescue and our environment.

Tickets are just $30, and $15 is tax deductible.   Get your tickets now, as seating is limited.

The Inside Scoop

Omaha CROP Hunger Walk - Sunday, October 8:   This community-wide event raises funds to end hunger in the U.S. and around the world. Saving Grace is one of three local nonprofit organizations that will share 25 percent of the walk's proceeds. The remaining 75 percent will go to fight hunger and poverty globally.  Learn more about the walk online.

The Ultimate Food Truck Event:

Promoting Saving Grace on the first day were board members Peggy Dunn, Lonnie Michael Jr. and Beth Ostdiek Smith.
Farm Credit Services of America recently hosted Saving Grace's first Ultimate Food Truck event. Two food trucks were on hand for each of four days to provide lunch for employees and visitors. Saving Grace received $1 from each meal purchased. 

If your company would like to host an Ultimate Food Truck Event, contact Beth Ostdiek Smith at

Funding for a New Truck:

Saving Grace is grateful to have received a $68,000 grant from Walmart Foundation for the purchase of a third refrigerated truck. Board member Michael Hemenway, third from left, accepted the check during a Day of Giving last week in Lincoln. The additional truck will allow Saving Grace to grow its operations and rescue even more food to feed the hungry.   

Thank You:  We appreciate all of the votes Saving Grace received for First National Bank's 2017 Community First Award and for Food Day Omaha's Nonprofit of the Year Award. While Saving Grace did not win, we are grateful for the support and recognition we received from the community. 

Measuring Our Impact: 
  • Number of Food Donors:  37 - See list online
  • Number of Nonprofit Partner Agencies: 30 - See list online
  • Amount of Food Rescued in September: 53,354 pounds
  • Total Food Rescued Jan. to Sept. 2017: 529,381 pounds
"I am so proud of the fact that Saving Grace is saving food from going into landfills and is filling hungry bellies with nutritious food.  Personally, I am working to limit our family's food waste - pledging to not over buy and to plan meals that use leftovers and items that may be a bit past their prime.  I look forward to educating others about this issue and what Saving Grace is doing about it in our community."

Tracy Wells, Saving Grace Board Member

Saving Grace Perishable Food Rescue |