It's the last week of 2016 and Week 6 of the Winter Share.
We hope that you enjoyed any and all of your celebrations last week, and that you have some fun plans coming up for New Year's! 2016 is coming to a close, and we are really looking forward to all the exciting things happening in 2017, including the Summer Share! Season Opening announcement coming soon... keep posted to your inbox for more details...
What's in the bag? We have a big, roasty-stewy kind of bag this week-- perfect for this chilly weather as you all hunker down with family and friends at home. The Omnivore Share subscribers will get a huge pork roast, as well as a pound of ground beef. The Vegetarian Share subscribers will get a quart sized jar of our savory, Goat Cheese Parmesan Tomato Sauce and a pound of black beans. All the bags will have a carton of eggs, some sauerkraut, a pair of acorn squash, root vegetables (rutabaga, parsnips & carrots) and some frozen veggies (1 quart each of sweet corn, frozen tomatoes and frozen green beans.)
Our Sauerkraut is a fermented live food, filled with gut-healthy probiotics. Store in your fridge, and unscrew the lid occasionally to release the pressure from the gas as it builds up. And if you already have a bunch of squash rolling around your countertop, here is the easiest squash trick in the book!
- Set your oven to 350.
- Wash the squash, and prick all over with a fork (like a baked potato.)
- Depending on size & how many you bake at once, roast for 50 - 75 min.
- Turn the squash every 25 min while roasting to cook evenly.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then slice in half and scoop out seeds.
- Peel away the rind or use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Mix it up into sauces, stews, or freeze in ice cube trays for quick meals.
Ohio City Provisions
will be open all week 10-7, 8am-noon on New Year's eve, and closed on New Year's Day. Stop on by the shop at
3208 Lorain Avenue
to pick up some special roasts to ring in the New Year!