Welcome to What's on the MOVES. Every week we share information received about upcoming events, agency news and announcements with the DC MOVES mailing list. If your agency has information to share through this bulletin, please contact the DC MOVES Coordinator
What's on the MOVES is moving to Friday!
At last week's Leadership Table meeting, we discussed the impact of What's on the MOVES. We have an Open rate between 30-40% and a click rate between 5-15%. Based on feedback, we have decided to change the publication schedule to Friday morning starting next week.
The submission deadline will move to noon on Thursday. We welcome event announcements, program updates and other current information related to working together collaboratively to serve the residents of Dufferin.
Volunteer Dufferin Welcomes
Our Newest Member!
Volunteer Dufferin is pleased to welcome our newest member, the Dufferin Parent Support Network, a collaborative network of parents and community agencies who came together in 1999 to provide a network of support for parents of school-aged children.
DPSN is Seeking Board Members
At DPSN, we believe that through more effective parenting, children and youth will be all that they can be. They will develop emotional and physical well-being. They will be nurtured to believe in themselves, will be better able to handle life's choices, and will make healthy choices.
We promote parenting skills that are based on understanding and working with children's behavior.
Dufferin Parent Support Network (DPSN) is seeking a volunteer who shares our philosophy of positive parenting to join our Board of Directors. For more information, visit: http://www.dpsn.ca/Volunteer.html.
Together DPSN provides Dufferin parents with:
- general parenting information
- referral to community resources that support families
- a wide range of workshops for anyone in a parenting role (parents, caregivers, grandparents and teachers)
- community presentations by leading parenting experts on topics of interest to Dufferin area families
- skill building for facilitators and community leaders
Rural Development Workshop
on June 26
Headwaters Community in Action (HCIA) and the Rural Ontario Institute (ROI)are thrilled to be hosting Peter Kenyon for a day-long workshop. For those of you who have heard Peter before, come and be re-inspired by his many engaging stories, for those of you who have never heard Peter speak before, come prepared to enjoy your day! You are in for a treat.
Click here to register. We hope to see you there!
Peter, a well-known social capitalist and community enthusiast, is passionate about community and economic renewal. In this workshop, Peter will help you to be able to identify strengths and assets within your own communities. Peter's approach is to 'work from within' rather than top down, a process that aids communities and local economies in learning to invest in themselves, ideas, assets, capabilities and resources.
: Monday June 26, 2017, 9:30am -3:00pm
Registration: 9:30am with light breakfast and coffee provided
10 am to 12 pm ~
Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) with Rural Communities
1 pm to 3 pm ~
Leadership for Reinventing Rural Communities
Location: Monora Park Pavilion, 500 Monora Park Drive, Mono, ON
Headwaters Dental Centre
Offers Free Treatments
On Thursday, June 29, 2017, Headwaters Dental Centre is offering one free treatment per patient on a first-come-first-served basis:
- hygienic cleanings
Registration runs from 8:30-10:00 am and treatments are provided from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Habitat for Humanity in Dufferin
As we continue to plan for a
large-scale build in Dufferin
, we look to our community for support.
At Habitat for Humanity, support comes in many forms.
- Shop at the Orangeville ReStore, or donate your gently-used furniture, appliances and more. Learn more here.
- Volunteer with us! Our volunteers are the core of our organization. Our goal is to deliver the Ultimate Volunteer Experience by offering a worthwhile, meaningful, and rewarding opportunity. Learn more about our opportunities here.
- #PartyHardforHabitat: This September, we're hosting our first ever Ultimate Habitat House Party in Dufferin! Find out more about tickets, sponsorships and more by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Building a whole village is not an easy task, but with your support and engagement, we will continue to build more. With every brick we lay, we know we are building homes and building the future of community - our community.
Consultation Invitation for
Canada's Poverty Reduction Strategy
The Government of Canada has launched an engagement website where interested individuals and organizations can provide their input and opinions on
Canada's Poverty Reduction Strategy
until June 30, 2017.
In addition to online engagement, people are welcome to mail in their comments and suggestions for reducing poverty by:
- Sending letters addressed to the Minister of Families, Children, and Social Development;
- Calling 1 800 O Canada (1 800 622-6232), visiting their local Service Canada office or contacting their local MP to obtain a printed copy of a "host your own discussion" toolkit (also available at Canada.ca/reduce-poverty).
Feedback can be mailed to:
Social Policy Directorate
140 Promenade du Portage
Phase IV, Office 3A086
Gatineau, QC K1A 0J9