Protect yourself and your family!

Carbon monoxide is a lethal, colorless, odorless gas that can kill a person quickly. Carbon monoxide poisonings are more common in winter, when people use generators or heaters that give off exhaust containing this deadly gas. With the current bad weather, many of us are using our generators, so this is important and timely information!

As a home inspector, I visit multiple homes each week. MANY HOMES DO NOT HAVE CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS!  Installing detectors is a simple preventive measure that can literally be a life saver. They are relatively inexpensive and readily available at hardware and home improvement stores. 

  • Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other device that burns gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal inside a home, garage or partially enclosed area. Place the unit outside away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to seep indoors.
  • Install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends placing one in hallways near sleeping areas, but having one on each level of your home provides extra protection. Test them frequently to ensure they are working properly.
  • Don't keep a vehicle running in a garage attached to your home.
  • Evacuate your home and seek prompt medical attention if your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, or if you suddenly start feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous (especially if everyone in the home begins experiencing similar symptoms at the same time).
  • Have furnaces and fuel-burning appliances inspected annually by a professional technician.
Click on the poster above  to watch a short, but important video that explains causes and symptoms of CO poisoning as well as what you can do to keep your house and family safe. 

So, please be careful during this wintry weather and stay safe both at home and on the road!!


Ron Rivard

Check out this recipe for our 
"Killer" Horseradish Sauce.
Perfect on prime rib!