Sometimes my workday gets very hectic, especially when I just throw myself into the mosh pit of constant activity. So when the end of the day arrives, I'm wound up and have a harder time relaxing into the evening and sleep.
So, these are methods I use that help prevent that from happening. I don't use all of them every day, but when I do, my day is much more pleasant and productive for me and everyone around me. And that leads to a nice evening, a good night's sleep and a great day tomorrow.
Maybe some of these will work for you. If you have some favorite tips of your own that you'd like to share, please let me know. I'd love to hear and post those too.
- Don't book yourself into stress--when I book an appointment at 8am, seventy-five miles from here, I can feel it the moment it hits my calendar.
- Find a time to exercise and hold it sacred.
- Don't set arbitrary time limits--just another way to book yourself into stress.
- Take at least two 10 minute breathers sometime during the day, especially after being "on" for a long while.
- Avoid making critical remarks, as they drain your batteries as much as those of the people you say them to.
- List the three most important things you need to do today, and do them first.
- And lastly, if or when something goes wrong, remember, it's all in how you look at it and the meaning you give it.