Announcing the YANA-Dwight Hall Summer Fellowship Program!
YANA is pleased to announce that we have collaborated with Dwight Hall to create the YANA-Dwight Hall Summer Fellowship, a funded summer fellowship program to help Yale students of limited financial means pursue a summer internship in the social impact sector by easing some of their financial burdens, introducing them to the YANA alumni network, and providing mentoring, training and other assistance.
The first Fellowships, for summer 2017, were recently awarded to two qualified recipients:
Daniel Hamidi DC'18
: Daniel will intern for the Orleans Public Defenders, a nonprofit law office in New Orleans that provides legal representation to indigent clients in Louisiana. Daniel has been active with several nonprofit and government organizations including the Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, the UC Irvine legal clinic, OutRight Action International (formerly the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission), the office of a New Haven Alder and the Yale College Democrats.
Marwan Jalani BR'20
: Marwan will split his summer between the Integrated Refugee & Immigrant Service (IRIS) in New Haven and a nonprofit based in Palo Alto, CA, raising awareness of immigration issues in schools and places of worship and assisting with integration of new refugees. In the past year, he has been involved with A Leg Even, the Yale Refugee Project, and DOX-BOX (a nonprofit that raises funds for Arab filmmakers).
We hope to double the number of interns for summer 2018.
Ways You Can Participate:
There are several ways individuals and chapters can join in the Fellowship program:
- Host a summer intern at your nonprofit or social impact organization
- Assist interns hosted by a local nonprofit with logistics including housing
- Act as a local summer mentor
- Contribute to YANA's fundraising efforts by financially supporting the program [NB: YANA is registered as a nonprofit to solicit donations only in NY, CT and CA. We are currently working on registration in MA and RI.]
- Host an event during the summer featuring the local intern(s) and related speakers.
If you are interested in any of the needs noted above or in serving as a point person to coordinate local activities and interface with the National Chapter for the Fellowship program, please contact YANA Treasurer,