Cool Exercise Ideas for Winter Time
Cassie Greene, RD, CDE, CNSC
Registered Dietitian, Kaiser Permanente
Baby it's Cold Outside....
Are the icy winter months putting a FREEZE on your exercise regimen? Don't let the cold slow you down!
Here are some tips to stay active.
Take advantage of the powder
- Hit the slopes! Skiing and snowboarding are so much fun you won't even feel like you're exercising. Don't know how? Take a lesson!
- Try snowshoeing. Take in the breathtaking views of our very own Colorado while getting in some calorie torching activity. Go here to learn about some of Colorado's best snowshoe trails.
- Cross country skiing can launch you into thickets of snow-laden trees, silent white meadows and tracks right next to frozen creeks. To discover Colorado's 20 Nordic centers and uncover the state's winter wonderland, go here.
- Sledding is NOT just for kids. Adults can have fun too! Grab your sled and get out there.
- Don't just send your kids out to play - join them! Build a fort, build a snow man, build a snow woman, build a snow dog. You get the idea.
- Do you like your neighbor? Shovel their driveway.
- Have a snow ball fight! Play nice.....
Stay cozy indoors
- Need to catch up on your favorite TV show? Earn it. Watch your show while walking on the treadmill. No treadmill? No sweat. Get out of the recliner and march in place while watching TV. "Watch" your steps rack up on a fitness tracker! What's a "fitness tracker" you ask? Go here for more information.
- Want to try Zumba, but don't like classes? Rent exercise DVDs from the library and test them out. It's fun to try new exercises, especially when no one is watching!
- Head to the nearest mall or big box store and walk the perimeter to add some movement to your day.
- Sign up for a dance lesson with your significant other or friend or turn on some music and have a dance party in your kitchen!
- A little bit of competition can get the heart pumping! Join an indoor sports league such as volley ball, tennis, basketball or pickleball. Wait....Did someone just say "pickleball"? YES! Go here to learn more.
- Indoor pools are great for keeping the summer nostalgia flowing. Swim, water walk or take a water aerobics class for some aqua fun.
- Joint issues? Seated exercise may work. Try the PBS TV show, Sit and Be Fit. Not able to catch it during its air time? Record it!
Get active, stay active and have some fun while you're at it.
Remember to be safe, dress appropriately and consider taking a lesson from an expert before trying a new activity.