April 24, 2017
Dear Vineyard Leaders & Educators,
You are invited to nominate young people
to MVYLI's 13th Annual Youth Leadership Summit.
June 24-30, 2017
Orientation * Monday, May 8
MVPCS * LUNCH
MVRHS LCS * 2:15 pm.
MVYLI youth leaders will share
their experiences with the Summit.
Special Guests: Summit Co-Directors
The Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development
inspires, educates and empowers young people (ages 15-18) to take initiative in their lives and on their island. In this weeklong intensive leadership training youth delegates envision their personal, professional, island and planetary goals. The Summit begins with a Sustainable Vineyard Tour to learn first-hand about blue projects on the Island. They meet in professional work groups with college youth and begin developing 5-year plans for their lives. They also identify and develop action plans for sustainability projects to help their Island. Our faculty: The Institute's Train-the-Trainer Youth Empowerment Model features youth graduates from previous Summits. They are especially invested in passing along Dr. King's legacy of "Each one, teach one" - that creates a powerful multiplier effect for future generations.
Please think about young people who have the potential to be leaders: Imagine if they could have this experience!
Together we can
prepare a new generation of leaders for the island and world.
the MVYLI Youth Leadership Summit
* Youth receive educational tools/training to develop a can-do spirit and initiative in their lives.
* Youth exposed to inspiring people who've overcome obstacles and changed their lives, world;
* Youth learn about best practices and innovative models for sustainability on their island;
* Youth learn to find their voice, and positively express it in various mediums: presentations: verbally, written, artistically and through video, music and social media;
* Youth empowered to be representatives of sustainability issues/ projects affecting their islands
* Youth develop action plans; troubleshoot challenges, develop strategies to engage others;
MVYLI is a project of the Stone Soup Leadership Institute, 501c3 non-profit organization founded on Martha's Vineyard in 1997.
All programs are free to Vineyard youth.
MVYLI's programs require a commitment from youth and their nominator. Parental support is invaluable in ensuring their success in MVYLI's program.
MVYLI is very much aligned with my 5-year plan for Martha's Vineyard Public Schools. In the past, our students have greatly benefitted from MVYLI's emphasis on critical thinking, problem solving, expanding their horizons and helping them think about their future. I'm especially pleased to see this year's focus on writing.
Superintendent Matthew D'Andrea