|The Contest Winner Is...|
by Nicki Minaj
The contest was for the best hip hop song to create a Zumba routine. Naimah Thompson won a free Zumba class for her submission winning the most votes. "Like" the fitBody with Jackie Facebook page to stay current about future contests and all the latest Zumba happenings.
|OUR NEW WEBSITE|
Check out the
for the up-to-date
class schedule, events, and cancellations.
As you may have already noticed, there have been many exciting changes to the new "fitBody with Jackie" brand this year. We launched a new website
, new Facebook
pages, and the first 6-week fitBody Camp started for fitness and nutrition. And coming soon, our YouTube channel will regularly upload step-by- step
videos of your favorite Zumba dance routines.
Next month, we will be having a Zumba Black Light Party. Check out the video below to see the fun party vibe we have in store for you.
In addition to all the new happenings, our class assistants, Corrina and Sarah, are now officially Zumba certified. Congratulations to my girls!
IMardi Gras Zumba & Happy Hour
Tuesday, February 21 at 7 pm
Come party with us! Bring your friends and come celebrate Mardi Gras like we do in my home state of Louisiana. Beads, masks, party favors and fun music provided! After Zumba we'll keep the party going with our second class happy hour at Lake Chalet. If you missed the first one, you definitely don't want to miss this chance to have a drink and hang out with your fellow Zumba lovers.
|IZumba Black Light Bash|
|Date to be announced soon!
Black Light Parties are all the rage, and now we're bringing the glow to Zumba class. For maximum fun, make sure to WEAR WHITE
and add some fluorescent
accents, for example, fluorescent shoelaces or a hat with fluorescent stripes. Use glow-in-the-dark
body paint. The more effect the better! Check out this video for ideas. The most glow-happy person wins a Zumba CD! Stay tuned to the fitBody with Jackie Facebook page
for the latest.
This month's spotlight is on Mia Belk.
- Childhood Ambition: My childhood ambition was to be a lawyer. I am not sure I knew exactly what it meant, but it sounded good at first and my family always said that since I was so argumentative, I should be a lawyer.
- Fondest Memory: One of my fondest memories has to be attending the (presidential) inauguration with my mother. While I personally felt emotional about the event, it was extraordinary to witness it as through the eyes of my mother who had only attended segregated schools, fought for voting rights and grown up in an America where the election of a Black President was just a dream.
- Favorite Movie: I love the movies! One of my favorites is Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman is an incredible actor and makes it look effortless.
- Biggest Challenge: Multi-pronged -- to attain a good level of fitness and to lose 10 pounds and to counteract the effect of my sitting for many hours in the day.
- Indulgence: My greatest is, and I have many, traveling. I find that I look forward to traveling whether it is an international or domestic destination or just across the bay, I absolutely love it and I treat myself to it whenever I can.
- Idol: My mother. If I can live my life with half the amount of grace, compassion, joy and fearlessness as she, I will have really accomplished something.
- Proudest Moment: I have had many, but I am always proudest when my brother Maurice, who is autistic, never gives up and reaches another milestone.
- Goals for 2012: Of course to improve my level of fitness and lose weight, and also to travel to Istanbul, Turkey (and maybe to Belize, if I can fit it in).
- Why Zumba?: Initially I started because I needed to exercise and I hate gyms. Now I go to Zumba, not just for the exercise, but because I like to dance and because I enjoy the awesome people I have met there.