invite you to take urgent action to...
- Ensure #NoLameDuck Session vote on the TPP
- Join Women Act for Climate Justice:
Ten Days of Global Mobilization Oct. 28 - Nov. 6
Ensure #NoLameDuck Session Vote on the TPP
We've drawn the fight against the TPP - the TransPacific Partnership free trade agreement out far longer than anyone expected.
We can win, too, if everyone takes action to ensure #NoLameDuck vote against this global corporate power grab.
If we #STOPTPP, we can go on to #STOPTTIP and #STOPTiSA and work for democratic fair trade policy for people and the planet.
Pres. Obama is determined to pass the TPP before leaving office to consolidate his legacy. He wants to build momentum toward passing the TTIP:TransAtlantic Trade and Investment Partnership between the US and 28 EU countries and TiSA:Trade in Services Agreement between the US and 49 other countries, both being negotiated in secret.
Don't believe a thing you hear from any Congressional leader or Pres. Obama and his representatives about a "yes" or "no" vote count. There's a huge amount of maneuvering going on behind closed doors and disinformation being spread.
We all have to do our work to be sure there is...
NO LAME DUCK VOTE!
The Lame Duck Session is a most dangerous time!
The Session runs from Nov. 14 to Dec. 16 with a Thanksgiving break, Nov. 18 to 29, when Congress members are "in district."
After the election, Pres. Obama with his legions of supporters and corporate lobbyists will swarm the halls of Congress twisting arms and offering inducements for "Yes" TPP votes.
Congress members who have lost their seats or retired still get to vote. The question is will the "Lame Ducks" vote "yes" to boost their own chances to win corporate or lobbying jobs? Or will they vote "No" with the people?
Congress members who have been re-elected will vote "yes" as their corporate bosses say, assuming their constituents are not paying attention after the Nov. 8 election.
Lame Ducks Should Not Get the Vote!
We are asking you again to join with us to #STOPTPP and end corporate rule by free trade agreement.
Remember, the entire House is up for election. We need to hear loud and clear "NO TPP."
Sign the petition to Nancy Pelosi
From now until the election:
Keep up working with your Representative.
If your Representative has said 'No," go to his/her office or write a short Letter to the Editor to say "thank you" and ask that he/she speak out more publicly and with fellow House members and candidates.
If your Congress person is on the fence or still saying "yes," please:
- Call his/her district office for an appointment; go with friends from different local groups to meet with your House member or a staff member.
- You may need to do more: organize a sidewalk sit-in or demonstration, or sit in at the office. If you're asked to leave, do so quietly and politely.
- Bird-dog your Representative at events, ask questions, demonstrate outside these events if needed.
- Write Letters to the Editor.
- This WILPF factsheet details why your Congress Member should say "No" to the TPP.
After the November 8 election, tell Congress--Don't Duck Democracy!
- Keep those calls/letters/visits happening.
- Join the #No Lame Duck Uprising November 12 - 17 in Washington, D.C. or organize or join an event in your community. Click here to register for the D.C. event and for information on accommodations, transportation and more (be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page).
- Plan to arrive on Nov. 12 for non-violent civil disobedience and other trainings and work on puppets, posters, banner and other projects on the 12th and 13th. Monday, Nov. 14 will be the large march and actions that continue to Nov. 17. Watch for travel and bus notices.
Join Women Act For Climate Justice
Ten Days of Global Mobilization Oct. 28 - Nov. 6
As you know, since COP 21 in Paris, the climate crisis has intensified. It's been the warmest year, with the hottest months. The U.S. has not yet moved close to achieving its COP 21 pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 28%, and atmospheric carbon may have topped 400 ppm permanently making it virtually impossible to stay below 2 degree Celsius warming as all nations agreed Paris.
This worldwide call by the Women's Earth & Climate Action Network
is for women and girls to showcase their climate justice struggles and solutions by posting photos and statements or by organizing educational events, community projects, protests and marches.
This Ten-Day Women Act for Climate Justice Campaign ends the day before the 2016 United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) - COP22 Climate Summit, Nov. 7-18 in Marrakech, Morocco,
WECAN says, "
where we must work together to ensure a sustained civil society presence and pressur
e to demand that all government
road maps ahead originate in a climate justice framework, and with respect to human, Indigenous and women's rights, and gender, social, economic and ecological j
Read Why Women Are Key in the movement for climate justice and are disproportionately impacted by global warming and extreme weather
Consult the Earth Democracy and Corporations v. Democracy Climate Justice+Women+Peace campaign and order cards here
Here are ideas for planning a Branch action
and submit your action here.
This 10 day of mobilization is so important to show our collective resistance to environmental and social degradation, to highlight the climate impacts our communities are facing, to demand drastic change away from our unjust neoliberal economic and development systems, and to demonstrate the many effective, just and safe climate solutions, strategies and political calls that are being implemented by women and girls around the world on a daily basis.