Dear St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School Families,
HAPPY SUMMER! I pray you are enjoying some much deserved family time with some extra sleep hours and no homework (just a little summer reading to keep those skills strong! 😊) We have been working hard excitedly preparing for an excellent start to the 2019-2020 year. We want to take this opportunity to highlight some additions and changes to the upcoming year. Please also take the time to read the updated handbook (attached). All changes for this academic year are highlighted in the handbook in yellow.
New Members of the St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School Staff:
- Mrs. Maria Balderas –Beyond the Bell Staff
- Mrs. Heather Blakesley – Enrichment Teacher
- Mr. Keith Burton – 1st – 8th Music Teacher
- Ms. Michelle Daniels – Fifth Grade Teacher
- Mrs. Lincy Jacob – Second Grade Teacher
- Mrs. Ellen Pavlich – Elementary Learning Support Teacher
SAVE THE FOLLOWING DATES:
We want to share with you three new events on campus for next year.
- Meet the Teacher on August 12th from 4 pm – 6pm: Don’t miss this opportunity for you and your child to meet your new teacher and check out their classroom!
- Mother / Son Dance – Saturday, November 2nd from 6pm – 8pm in the Gym. More details to come!
- Father / Daughter Dance – Saturday, January 5th from 6pm – 8pm in the Gym. More details to come!
NEW PROGRAMS/CLUBS FOR 2019-2020:
- Second Step Social Emotional Learning Program – This Pre-K – 8th grade program helps create supportive, successful learning environments uniquely equipped to encourage children to thrive. More than just a classroom curriculum, Second Step’s holistic approach helps create a more empathetic society by providing the school community with tools to enable them to take an active role in formation of the whole child. This program will be led by classroom teachers under the leadership of Mrs. O’Connor.
- Enrichment Program – This program will provide enrichment for all students. Mrs. Blakesley, our Enrichment Teacher, in collaboration with classroom teachers, will provide push-in Enrichment for our students. Mrs. Blakesley will also teach one middle school elective course for students identified through CogAT testing last spring. We look forward to this program growing in upcoming years. Additionally, Mrs. Blakesley will be a resource for our classroom teachers in providing extension activities for students as needed.
- Kindness Jars – This school-wide program was suggested by one of our rising 4th graders and we decided to put it in place for this upcoming year. This program recognizes those individual students who go above and beyond to walk in the footsteps of Christ. Through extraordinary acts of kindness, they model the expectations of a student of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School. Each teacher is asked to put “lightning bugs” in the jar when a student does something that really stands out. Then names from each department will be pulled the first Friday of each month on DNN and the lucky students pulled will receive a Free Dress Pass for the following Monday.
- Running Club – This club will be offered for all students. We will meet weekly weather-permitting (September – April) after school. Students’ laps will be tracked with recognition given when milestones are achieved. We encourage parents to join in as well! More details on dates and times to come.
SPECIAL HANDBOOK REMINDERS/CHANGES TO HIGHLIGHT:
- Risse Brothers Uniforms – Effective this year, ALL students Pre-K3 – 7th grade are expected to be in full Risse Brothers uniform apparel. Risse Brothers will have their Pop-Up Store on our campus on August 7th and August 8th from 8am – 3pm.
- Student Accountability – You will notice in the Handbook, that we have made some changes to help increase student responsibility and accountability in the areas of discipline and academics. The grade earned by students will be the grade placed in the grade-book. This is done so that the grade truly shows the percentage of mastery. This also helps the teacher see areas needing to be re-taught as well as areas of strength. Report card grades, however, will continue to be a minimum of 60. In the area of discipline, level 3 infractions will earn a conduct grade of zero for the week.
- Smartwatches – Smartwatches are not allowed on campus unless necessary for medical reasons. A smartwatch is defined as any watch that can send/receive calls, texts or date and/or access the Internet. We ask parents to secure these expensive watches at home to remove the distraction and to keep them from getting lost or damaged. If brought to school, students may keep in their lockers/backpacks following the same policy as implemented for cell phones.
ST. ANTHONY OF PADUA CATHOLIC SCHOOL SPIRIT WEAR:
- 2019-2020 Spirit Shirt –This year’s Spirit Shirt will be purchased through the school rather than through Risse Brothers. We hope this makes ordering more convenient. The charge for the shirt will be $20. Once purchased, money will not need to be sent in on T-shirt & Jeans Days. The cost of T-shirt & Jeans Days is included. The proceeds will go to support the following ministries: Honduras Mission, Cross Catholic, The Labouré Society, Prolife Across America and PACN (Pregnancy Assistance Center North). More information on ordering to come. This is an optional purchase. Students wearing Spirit Shirts from previous years will be required to contribute $1 to the sponsored ministry on T-shirt & Jeans Days.
- Squad Locker – We are excited to launch our very own Spirit Store through Squad Locker. Parents and students may purchase items through our online store by visiting this link: https://teamlocker.squadlocker.com/#/lockers/st-anthony-of-padua-catholic-school-spirit-store. Our school will receive a percentage of all sales to benefit our programs on campus. Outerwear items may be worn by students over the uniform.
As I hope you can see, this is shaping up to be a wonderful year. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and the
Family Handbook. Be looking for more information as the new school year approaches! Looking forward to seeing you in August!
Only by His Grace,
Veronica D. Tucker