Beginning in early October, most Californians will start receiving a one-time cash refund of up to $1,050 to help offset the higher costs caused by inflation. Funding for California's Better for Families Tax Refund was part of this year's state budget passed by the Legislature.
Determine your eligibility.
You are eligible if you:
- Filed your 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021
Meet the California adjusted gross income (CA AGI) limits described in the Tax Refund section
Were not eligible to be claimed as a dependent in the 2020 tax year
Were a California resident for six months or more of the 2020 tax year
- Are a California resident on the date the payment is issued
How much will I receive?
When will I receive my refund?
The FTB anticipates 95% of all refunds will be distributed by the end of this year. If you filed your 2020 taxes electronically:
Expect to receive your refund by direct deposit.
- Prior Golden State Stimulus I or II recipients - 10/7-10/25
- Other eFilers - 10/28-11/14
If you filed your 2020 taxes via standard USPS:
Expect to receive your refund via a debit card sent to your address on file with the FTB.
- Prior Golden State Stimulus I or II recipients - 10/25-12/10
- Remaining Tax Filers - Before 1/15/23
Contact the Franchise Tax Board's customer service representatives if you have further questions regarding this one-time payment at (800) 542-9332. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., or visit their website.