1. The roof is often ignored, and yet can cause the most damage when ignored. Semi annually look for and repair clogged drains, cracks, deterioration, evidence of the start of leaks, broken condensate lines as well as unsealed roof jacks.
2. Parking lots are the doormats to every office and important to its perceived value. You'll want to make sure you take care of the parking lot the same way you take care of your building. Sweep it regularly, fix broken sprinklers and have a professional regularly maintain the parking lot, dependant on the age.
3. HVAC unit neglect is a very common occurrence. Servicing the HVAC units semi annually and changing the filters on a regular basis will save you much time, money and headaches in the summer months!
4. Keep dumpsters clean, make sure to seal the garbage that goes into it, and leave nothing outside of it.
5. Make sure to provide good lighting around your building. This not only improves security, but it also reduces pests. If lighting is switched out to sodium vapor lighting, pests are less likely to be attracted to the building.
6. Keep vegetation properly in check. It improves the aesthetics of any building. Keeping trees and vines cut back from the building will also help to keep roof rats and other pests from infiltrating your building.
7. Be careful of standing water and over watering. This can create many issues including but not limited to mosquitoes, moisture inside the building and in the concrete, as well as deteriorating asphalt.