Success is impossible if you identify yourself as a failure!
Creating a "positive
attitude" needs to come first and for most of us it is not a natural step, use the formula below to assist you.
Step 1 - Identify your goal(s)!
Step 2 - Identify what success looks like!
You can not call yourself successful if you do not have a vision of what success is.
Using the Wellness Program as an example; our goals come down to behaviors that are going to increase our chances of saving money on the health benefits allowing maximum contributions to the retirement accounts. The following are clear, measurable behavior goals that, if achieved, improve the chances of Wellness success:
- Annual Physical
- Do you get your Annual Physical each year?
- Water - 5 glasses per day
- Produce - 6 servings per day
- Nuts/seeds - 1 handful 5 days per week
- Salmon (heart healthy fats) - 4 oz. serving, 2-4 times per month
- reduce sodium, sugar and processed meats
- 10,000 steps per day including 150-minutes of heart pumping cardiovascular exercise per week!
- Stop using tobacco
- 7 or more hours regularly
Step 3 - "Create" a Positive Attitude!
- 1) Start by calling yourself a success 5 times.
- What are you already doing well?
- 2) Name something you are doing better (but not perfect).
- Can you look back on the past (a journal may be a helpful tool) and see what is already better?
- Maybe you are getting 30-minutes of cardio per week and last year you were not doing any; or maybe you are smoking 10 cigarettes a day instead of 20.
- 3) Identify 3 other goals you can do better.
- 3 things that would be easy to improve, you are just not doing them.
- 4) Identify what makes it easy to do these better (strategies to succeed).
- For example: carrying a water bottle to ensure you are meeting your goal for daily water intake.
- 5) What could be better? Identify one (or a max of 3) that you can work on.
- 3 things that are slightly out of your comfort zone, doable but it will take some work and discipline!
A positive attitude is important to acheive success! Identifying what success looks like to you and creating an "action plan" cuts the clutter and allows you to see a clear path to being successful! Pick your goal and apply the formula.