Important things to consider before your purchase
Since stores are making little to no profit in the sale of a new PC they will likely try to up-sell you on unnecessary items such as an upgraded version of Windows, security software, extended warranties* and their in-store or remote tech services. The only add-on I usually recommend is a 1TB external hard drive for backup purposes, and in certain circumstances I recommend Microsoft Office with Word and Excel. If you have questions about an upsell, feel free to ask Computer Techs.
* Extended warranties typically only cover hardware problems that occur after the manufacturer warranty period (typically the first year of ownership), through the purchased extended warranty period (typically 2-4 years). Most hardware problems occur in the first year, over after 4-5 years. Thus if you purchase an extended warranty, you are spending money to cover a time period when the computer is least likely to fail.
Please consider our IN-HOME services to get your new computer set-up quickly and properly, vs. the chain stores offerings or attempting it yourself:
· Set-up and connect your new computer to your network, printer and other external hardware.
If you buy from a local store you'll likely notice that they don't specialize in in-home service, or they charge much more for the option. We'll make sure all of your external devices work with your new computer.
· Transfer data (documents, pictures, music, etc.) and compatible programs from an old computer.
Some tech services just transfer your data to a folder on your desktop - we organize your data and put it in the right folders and programs.
· Remove trialware and unnecessary adware.
We also setup free security, backup and Office software.
· Customization and explanation of Windows features.
We'll setup the menus, controls and buttons with familiarity of your previous computer.
· Consulting about questions you have about your new computer system
· Recommended storage/disposal/donation of an old unused computer