Substance misuse prevention begins with each of us, and we know prevention actions can happen in many settings and places in and around our community.
Prevention happens in homes, workplaces, schools, and throughout communities across the country.
* Prevention happens when two people discuss their mental health ... in their living room in Montrose.
* Prevention happens when a community talks about the consequences of underage drinking in a real and honest way ... at a town hall meeting in Flint.
* Prevention happens when teens share ideas about how to avoid marijuana, e-cigarettes, and prescription pain medications at parties ... in a classroom in Flushing.
For the National Prevention Week (NPW) 2020 Prevention Challenge, SAMHSA is challenging individuals, organizations, and communities to show us where prevention of substance misuse and suicide is happening around the country.
and fill out your #PreventionHappensHere sign.
2. Share a photo or video of you with your sign in the place where prevention happens in your life to foster a healthier future for you and those you care about.
3. Don't have a printer? No problem. Take a selfie, group photo, or video in the geographic location where you are preventing prescription drug and opioid misuse; underage drinking and alcohol misuse; illicit drug use and youth marijuana use; youth tobacco use (especially e-cigarette use and vaping); and suicide.
4. Post your photo on social media-Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Snapchat- using the #PreventionHappensHere and #NPW2020 hashtags. If you want to be featured on the GCPC Facebook or Instagram use the hashtag #theGCPC, tag us on Facebook or Instagram, or send your photo to us directly through Facebook or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Don't forget to include a geo tag on your post and tag your friends to post their #PreventionHappensHere selfies too.