FEMA & Earthquake Repair Update
Members of Joy:
Here's an update on the status of repairs to our facility; there's good news and some just so-so news.
- Bottom line is that Joy is still in FEMA's queue to get our repairs accomplished - good news.
- FEMA's Consolidated Resource Center (CRC) prepared a scope of work for our sheet rock and concrete repair. However, the estimated cost of repairs far exceeds what is actually required. For example, the scope of work calls for extensive sheet rock replacement when crack repair would be the appropriate fix. Obviously we need to reconcile these differences which is going to take more time - so-so news.
- Our state representatives continue to support Jan and I at every turn - good news. And FEMA just recently appointed a new representative to work with Joy and the state - also good news.
- Once we (Joy, the state and FEMA) agree on a scope of work, the state will hire a project manager and we'll be able to get the work done.
- Of course this process will all take more time. Thanks for your patience up to this point; please bear with us in the future.
- Jan D. and Wayne R.
As Alaskans, we have all heard the slogan,
This October 3
, all eligible Alaskans will receive their annual Permanent Fund Dividend. The Dividend this year will be $1,600. Unfortunately we cannot
to Joy Lutheran this year, but there is still a “golden” opportunity to help support Joy Lutheran Church by donating a portion of your 2019 Dividend to Joy.
To donate electronically, please click the green "Donate" button at the end of this newsletter.
The Chugiak Eagle River Thanksgiving Blessing committee held our first 2019 planning meeting. This year’s event will be Mon., November 25. Area churches, Food Bank of AK, and many volunteers provide families in need with a Thanksgiving turkey and all the fixings. In mid-October we will share more information and a link to LOVE Inc’s online volunteer sign-up page in the
Notes of Joy
newsletter. Joy Lutheran Church will have a separate sign-up sheet for in-house hosting volunteers.
(Spoiler Alert: “peas”)
Interested in Joining Joy Lutheran Church?
Contact the office at 694-9601 or
and let us know you’d like to explore a deeper relationship with Joy Lutheran Church.