The Cuyahoga Heights Schools "Back to School Workgroup" will begin meeting next week to develop plans for how we will return to school in August.
The Workgroup is made up of parents, teachers, administrators, members of our transportation, food service and maintenance departments and representatives from the Village councils.
My goal, as it has been from day one of the COVID crisis, is to have students back in our classrooms with our outstanding staff. While the work accomplished during remote learning was commendable, there is simply no replacement for one-on-one instructional time with our teachers. At the same time, we recognize there
may be families which are not yet comfortable sending their students back to an in-school learning environment. Please be assured these considerations will be included in the planning process.
Back to School planning will begin with discussions based on current guidelines, with the understanding that the Governor will be releasing additional guidelines in the next week or so. The Governor has so far stressed the notion of "local control," which we appreciate, as our plan may look very different from those in other districts.
Our goal is to do what's best for OUR school community, as we respond to the individual needs of our students, staff and families.
To help us do this, we will be sending out a survey to gather your feedback on how remote learning went in your home this spring, and to discover what you, your child and your family needs from us in order to move forward in providing the best possible education for your students.
GOODBYES & WELCOMES |
The summer has brought some changes to the CHHS staff:
- Middle/High School Principal Mr. Pat Coleman will be moving on to serve as Principal of Lorain High School. Mr. Coleman did a phenomenal job and we wish him well.
- Replacing Mr. Coleman is Mr. Mike Janatovich. If that name sounds familiar, it should be. Mr. Janatovich began his teaching career as a Middle School Science teacher here at Cuyahoga Heights, then moved on to Aurora Schools where he was a Middle School Assistant Principal and an Elementary Principal. Welcome Home Mr. J.!!!!!!
- Dr. Caleris is returning to the school district where his teaching career began, now serving as Superintendent. Dr. Caleris spent 14 years at Brooklyn Schools as a teacher and administrator, and I'm sure they're thrilled to have him back in a leadership capacity.
- Filling Dr. Caleris' role will be another familiar face. Mr. Matt Young returns to Cuyahoga Heights as Assistant Superintendent after spending two years at Summit County ESC as Assistant Superintendent. Mr. Young previously served in our district as Cuyahoga Heights Middle/High School Principal.
- Please join us in welcoming Ms. Kelsey Mason as high school Math teacher. Kelsey comes to us from Olmsted Falls School District.
- Mrs. Holly Thrasher will take over as the High School Guidance Counselor. She most recently served in the Brecksville-Broadview Heights Schools.
GRADUATION | A huge "thank you" to all CHHS families which participated in last Sunday's virtual graduation. We are still planning to submit our proposal for the in-person graduation plans that we shared in the June 9th edition of "Tom Talks" once the Health Department re-evaluates mass gathering restrictions that are currently in place.
Thank you to all who serve on our local scholarship committees -- our students benefit greatly not only from your generosity, but from the knowledge that their community cares about and is invested in their future. The financial support you provide to graduates is truly unparalleled by other communities.
Thank you for paying it forward to our students.
We will continue to keep you updated on our plans and progress throughout the summer as we look to the start of the 2020-2021 school year in the Cuyahoga Heights School District. Have a great summer!!!!!