What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 1/29 -
Wednesday, 1/30 -
Hingham Public Schools Safety Forum at HMS
(Video at 6pm, Forum Q& A at 7 pm)
Thursday, 1/31 -
Friday, 2/1 -
Mark Your Calendar
Noon Release for Parent/ Guardian Conferences/ Lunch is not served
PTO meeting 9:15 in the cafeteria
No School February Break
Dr. Seuss Breakfast for preschool and kindergarten students
Noon release for Professional Development/ Lunch is not served
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
A special thank you this week to our Box Top Committee members, Stephanie Gregoire, Sandy Mastrullo and Marie Vogel. An extra special shout out to Sandy for working so diligently on the Race to Extra recess campaign.
The PTO has many committee members who volunteer countless hours in the school and from home. Without you we couldn't accomplish everything we do!
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION RACE TO EXTRA RECESS!
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
So far, fifth grade is in the lead! Here are the combined totals as of 1/25/2019 for each grade level:
HPS School Safety & Security Forum
Hingham's Security Program Committee, in coordination with Hingham's all town PTOs, is holding a Security Forum to be held
on January 30, 2019
at Hingham Middle School
at 6:00 PM
. All are welcome to attend. The pre-agenda will include a film, "The Coming Storm", which is voluntary and for age appropriate audiences only and will be shown
at 6:00 PM
At 7:00 PM
the Security Program Committee panel will convene and provide a brief presentation followed by Q&A session. The Hingham Security Program Committee is comprised of emergency personnel (Police and Fire), School personnel including Building and Central Office Administration, School Maintenance, School Transportation, Teachers, and others. The committee will report out on its work to date and advise the community of parental roles relative to emergency preparedness on a daily basis and in the event of an emergency.
Newsletter Co-Editor Needed
We are looking for a co-editor for the weekly "What's the Buzz" e-newsletter. This is a great way to stay up to date with South school and PTO events and is ideal for someone who would like to volunteer from home. Training will be provided. If you have questions or would like to help out, please email
The KidsArt "FUNraiser" through Silvergraphics has begun! Choose from over 50 Quality products, including ornaments, mouse pads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollins' class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts.
Order forms were sent home last week. If your child did not have time to complete artwork in class, you can still participate... reach out to Danielle Deeb (
) to find out if your child was able to finish artwork at school, or ask how to submit artwork from home (original artwork will be returned).
Enter school access code: SOUTHart2019
For a March delivery, paper orders are due by Feb. 4 and online orders are due Feb. 6.
for more information.
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays
. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at:
There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at:
Please email Rachel Shields at
Attention Fitness Trainers, Coaches, Parents!
We are looking for another 1-2 volunteers to help out with the next session of our wildly popular BOKS program. This before-school fitness activity meets on Wednesday and Thursday mornings
in the gym. Not only do the kids have a blast, but the coaches do too! If you'd like to learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please email Danielle Deeb at
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
Hard to believe that January is almost under our belts! Let's hope for another five day week this week, and the kindness of Mother Nature! Just think, we have passed the ½ way point (day 90) and day 100 is fast approaching! Time flies when you are being productive and having fun!
Quote of the week for next week: I take time-in and time-away! (Week one of Taking Time Tool)
Thank you for pulling up to the red sign in the front driveway if you are the lead car at morning drop off. This facilities drop off which is especially important as the weather has changed and more students are being dropped off not to mention the complications that snow banks can cause. It also helps alleviate the traffic on Main St.
Thank you also for making sure there is a single line in the driveway at all times. This is especially important in case of emergencies and also passage when we have snow piles. You might need to pass the school and come back if there is no room when you arrive...We will take care of your children if they are waiting so no worries! PLEASE DO NOT PARK AND LEAVE YOUR CAR EMPTY IN THIS LINE AT DISMISSAL TIME...thank you!
NEW News for you:
- We are currently working on putting together a training for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program call Toolbox. It will be in March...and we will let you the dates ASAP as I know many of you have been asking about this!
- Ask your child about our Buzz Assembly last Friday...we had a wonderful performance from grade 3, hundreds of children received medals for completing Math Olympics and we sang a lovely song to wish Mrs. Thompson a wonderful retirement!
- The children are welcome to wear their Pats Gear and/or red, white and blue this comeing Friday, 2/1, if they wish to cheer on our team in its quest to win the superbowl...
- Please join SES's very own Cub Scout Pack 4 ! It is still possible to join. There are applications in the officePlease email Meghan Horrigan (email@example.com) with any questions.
- All parents are invited to a Safety Fourum sponsored by the Hingham Police Department and the PTOs of all six schools. It will be held on Wednesday, January 30th at 7 PM at Hingham Middle School.
- The next early release day is Wednesday February 6th . This early release day is set aside as a Parent/Teacher Conference Day. Please call the office if you would like an appointment for that day. If this is not convenient for you and you would still like a conference, please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- As you know, Ann Thompson, our long time Administrative Assistant, is retiring in early February. We will be honoring her long career in the HPS for the next month and epecially the week of February 4th, her last week. We are so grateful for ALL she has done for the HPS and most especially, SES! We will miss her!
- I know you will all give our new Administrative Assistant, Pam Graham, a wonderful SES welcome. Pam will be starting soon so that she can work with Ann for a while before Ann leaves. Thank you for understanding that all is new to her and that since she doesn't know all of you, she may ask for identification when a child is signed out etc...until she gets to know you.
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will be made available at our office and on the website on February 25, 2019. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official. Registration will extend through March and all kindergarten orientation activities will take place between May 6 and 17, 2019 (more information to come). Please be aware that there is a late registration fee applied after March 29, 2019. Thank you for getting forms back to us before then!
- Thousand Book Club: Please feel free to sign up your future kindergartener for this club in our library...also let friends who may have incoming kindergarten students know about this opportunity and all preschool and kindergarten students are welcome at the Dr. Seuss Breakfast on Saturday, March 3 @ 9:30-10:30.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Special Education Update
Dr. Suzanne Vinnes, HPS Director of Student Services, recently sent out a "Dear Special Education Community" outlining the ongoing work of the special education department. To learn more (
Pilgrim Skating Arena "Fun"raiser - Wednesday, February 6th from 1-2:10pm
To help Maddie McCoy and the people fighting rhabdomyosarcoma
Rub Out Rhabdo
Skates & Helmets Required
(no rentals available at
$10 per skater
$5 additional skater
$20 maximum per family
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
South Shore Conservatory percussion specialist, Ed Sorrentino joined our 2nd grade music class.