Preservation Trust of Vermont
Eleven Vermont Preservation Projects Awarded Grants
 
The 1772 Foundation, based in Providence, RI, plays a leading role in promoting historic preservation nationwide. In the most recent grant round, the 1772 Foundation worked with the Preservation Trust of Vermont and other northeastern states to administer 1:1 matching grants of up to $10,000. Grants totaling $100,000 will be given to eleven historic preservation projects in Vermont for building exteriors.

Preservation Trust of Vermont's Field Service Representative Lisa Ryan remarks, "The Preservation Trust is very grateful for the investment that the 1772 Foundation is making in Vermont and other parts of New England. Funds for historic preservation projects are needed now more than ever. These small grants will not only provide dollars for restoration work, but will also employ local tradespeople, support local businesses, and enable the nonprofits that own the buildings to have more resources available to serve their communities. This will be especially important as we enter the economic recovery phase of the Covid-19 pandemic."

Pratt Hall, Montgomery
The building now known as Pratt Hall was built in 1935 and was Montgomery's first church. The building was home to several congregations until 1974 when the Montgomery Historical Society purchased the building and saved it from demolition. Today, the Montgomery Historical Society is the steward of Pratt Hall. Pratt Hall is used by the community for arts exhibits and events. The $10,000 grant will be used for exterior painting and clapboard and trim repairs.


Retreat Farm, Brattleboro
Adjoining downtown Brattleboro, VT, the Retreat Farm encompasses 500 acres of conserved forest, farmland, trails and waterways. The original farmstead was established at the site in 1837 to provide food, fuel and therapy for people residing at Brattleboro Retreat psychiatric hospital. The Retreat Farm Inc. was formed in 2016 to take over the operation of the farm. Since that time, they have done a tremendous amount of work on the buildings. They are host of many educational programs and are open to the public seasonally. The $10,000 grant will be used toward painting the exterior of the barns. 


Park McCullough House, North Bennington
Park McCullough Historic Governor's Mansion, built in 1865, is considered one of the most significant and best preserved Victorian era mansions in New England. The volunteers at the Park McCullough house have cared for this building since 1865. It is used for musical events, theatrical performances, and private parties. The public can also have guided educational tours of the grounds and buildings. The grant of $10,000 will help the Park McCullough House paint and repair the south side exterior wall.


Center for Arts & Learning, Montpelier
The Center for Arts and Learning is a consortium of organizations that share the mission of enhancing the cultural life of central VT. The consortium includes the Summit School for Traditional Music, the Monteverdi School of Classical Music, the T.W.Wood Art Gallery and the River Rock Waldorf School. The programs take place in the former St. Michael's School and Convent, a turn of the century school that was once part of the Catholic school system. The $10,000 grant will help the organization to complete the painting of 94 windows, cornice and trim and would allow them to also restore the front entrance door and iron railings.


Charlotte Grange, Charlotte
The Grange Hall was built in 1870 by the Young Men's Literary Association to be used as a debate hall. The following year it was sold to the Charlotte School District and was then used as one of the many small school houses in Charlotte. Today, the Charlotte Grange provides opportunities for families and individuals to build a stronger more resilient community. The $10,000 grant will enable the group to go forward with the painting of the building. 

Fairfield Meeting House, East Fairfield
The East Fairfield Meeting House Association was formed in 1876. In 1885, the meeting house became home to the Congregationalists Society and served people in the community until 2012. The Church donated the property to the Fairfield Community Center. Since that time, the FCC has worked tirelessly to make this building ADA accessible and to provide programs for people of all ages. With support from this $10,000 grant, the group can paint their historic meeting house.

St. Johnsbury History & Heritage Center, St. Johnsbury
In 2010 the Fairbanks Museum divested itself from a large collection of local historic artifacts. The St. Johnsbury History and Heritage Center was established to care for the collection. In 2014 the group purchased an Italianate style home and carriage barn. They opened to the public in 2015 and have worked tirelessly on both the restoration of the house and carriage barn but also on educational programs and caring for the collection. This grant of $10,000 will enable this group to complete the exterior painting of the main house and the restoration of the historic front doors. 


Granville Corner School, Granville
The Corner School is a group dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the historic Corner School. The organization has done a tremendous amount of work to restore the foundation and interior flooring after a flooding event in 2011. This grant of $10,000 will enable this group to complete the window and door restoration, and get them one step closer to being the one and only community gathering place in Granville.


Union Church, New Haven Mills
The Union Church of New Haven Mills was built in 1851 and is one of the few remaining historic buildings in the small village. In 2010 the Church was conveyed to the Union Church of New Haven Mills non-profit. This small and motivated group have been excellent stewards of the building and have worked tirelessly to restore and preserve it. This grant of $10,000 will allow this group to complete the complete exterior trim and clapboard repairs, and paint the building. 


Starksboro Village Meeting House, Starksboro
The Starksboro Village Meeting House was built between 1838-40 by three denominations that shared the building. By 1919 the three congregations had dissolved and the building was left vacant and deteriorating. In 1957 the Starksboro Village Meeting House Society was formed. That group still exists today and is working to preserve the meeting house for generations to come. A grant of $5,000 will enable the group to complete necessary window repairs to the building.


Stone Valley Arts at Fox Hill, Poultney
Stone Valley Arts in what was Poultney's first United Methodist Church constructed in 1837. By 1857, the church was deeded to the Masonic Lodge Morningstar #37. In 2007, the property was purchased by private donors that had a vision of creating an arts center. In 2015, they donated the building to Preservation Trust of Vermont. PTV acted as fiscal sponsor for the newly formed Stone Valley Arts organization. Once the group had its 501c3 designation, PTV transferred ownership. The arts center is now a hub of community activity. A grant of $5000 will help with window restoration and painting.


1772 Foundation Board President B. Danforth Ely adds, "Small matching grants for brick-and-mortar preservation projects have long played an important role in the 1772 Foundation's grant making, as it was the passion of its founder, Stewart B. Kean. However, this is the first year that we have opened the program up to all six New England states, and the expansion has been enthusiastically received. We have been fortunate to work with six fantastic statewide organizations, whose local community knowledge has proven invaluable. The vast response to this grant has also shown to the Foundation how necessary these brick-and-mortar grants are to keeping our historic structures standing."

For more than forty years, the Preservation Trust of Vermont has been working to save buildings in each corner of Vermont and every town in between. The Trust helps communities keep gathering places alive and encourages the vitality of downtowns and village centers while retaining the integrity of the surrounding rural landscape. More information may be found at www.ptvermont.org .
 
The 1772 Foundation works to ensure the safe passage of our historic buildings and farmland to future generations. More information about The 1772 Foundation may be found at www.1772foundation.org .

#PreservationTrustHonors40
In the absence of opportunities to come together in person, o ver the next several months we will be sharing stories and images on our social media channels that reflect PTV's rich, 40-year history of preservation and community building. Join us in this digital commemoration by sending us photos of projects you've been involved with over the years. Send your submissions here and we will share them on social media and in upcoming newsletters. We want to hear from you about how PTV has impacted you and your community.

Donate Now
Your support will help communities around the state save and reuse their historic places.
Talk to Us
Let us know how you are doing or how we can help you!
Preservation Trust of Vermont
104 Church Street
Burlington, VT  05401
802-658-6647