Safety Alert - Car Theft Scam
Cummings Playground Opens
Pride Parade and Summer Events
Please be aware of a
motor vehicle theft
scam where offenders drive a vehicle into another car from behind. When the victim pulls over and exits the car to assess the damage, the offender steals the victim's car.
The offenders linked to these reported vehicle thefts are described as one or up to three African-American males, approximately 19-29 years of age, and an African-American female, approximately 19-22 years of age.
The car theft incidents occurred at:
- 1800 block of North Clybourn Avenue on Friday, June 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM.
- 1500 block of North Dayton Street on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
- 100 block of East LaSalle Drive on Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM.
What you can do:
- Report suspicious activity immediately.
- Keep your doors and windows locked.
- Do not leave your keys in your vehicle.
- If there is a witness, request contact information.
Please also be aware of several
that have been reported recently.
In the each incident, the victims were picked up in what was assumed to be a ride sharing vehicle and/or were walking when an unknown offender demanded the victim's property and used force or produced a weapon.
The offenders are described as one or up to three
African-American females, approximately 20-40 years of age and one African-American male.
Times and locations of the reported armed robberies, all of which took place between midnight and 5 AM:
- 2000 block of North Halsted Street on Sunday, May 28, 2017
- 500 block of North Dearborn Street on Sunday, June 4, 2017
- 1100 block of North State Street on Sunday, June 4, 2017
- 0-100 block of West Illinois Street on Saturday, June 17, 2017
Armed Robberies - What you can do:
- Please confirm a ride sharing car by checking the license plate on your phone.
- If confronted by an assailant, remain calm.
- Remember any unique characteristics (scars, tattoos, acne, limps, etc).
- Call 9-1-1 immediately and provide a detailed description of any suspicious people including any vehicle description and license plate information.
If you have any information or security footage that pertains to crime, please contact the Bureau of Detectives, Area Central at (312) 747-8380.
To increase community awareness, please attend a Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) meeting and take the opportunity to discuss safety concerns with your neighbors and patrol officers in our area. Find your beat
- Beats 1814, 1824, 1834 - Wed. July 5, 2017 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
- Beats 1821, 1822 & 1823 - Tues., July 11, 2017 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
- Beats 1811, 1812 & 1813 - Thurs., July 13, 2017 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
Grand Re-Opening of Cummings Playground
Join us and the Chicago Park District for the Grand Opening of Cummings Playground, at Dickens and Lincoln Park West, this Saturday, June 24, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. There will be games and raffle prizes for the kids!
Sunday Summer Sipper at Fire Station Park
Lincoln Central Association will be hosting the 3rd Annual Sunday Summer Sipper this Sunday, June 25th, 2017 from 5:00 to 7:00 PM in Fire Station Park & Gardens. Click
here for more information.
Additional CTA Rail and Bus Service for 2017 Chicago Pride Parade
Additional rail service on the Red, Blue, Brown and Orange lines will be provided. Following the parade, customers are encouraged to consider making their return trips from stations other than Belmont.
- Red Line: From 9:00 AM until 7:00 PM, trains will operate with increased frequency.
- Brown Line: Longer trains will operate from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM. Service will also be provided more frequently from approximately 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM.
- Blue Line: Longer trains will operate from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM.
- Orange Line: Longer trains will operate from 5:00 AM until 6:00 PM.
More frequent service will be provided on the
#74 Fullerton between 10:15 AM. and 5:30 PM. The
#77 Belmont and
#78 Montrose routes will also provide more frequent service from approximately 9:00 AM until 5:30 PM.
Please note, i
n anticipation of heavier-than-normal crowds on Sunday, June 25, 2017, the CTA will require all strollers and carts be folded prior to boarding buses and trains. Bicycles will not be allowed on 'L' trains. Bicycles will, however, be allowed on all buses, at all times using the racks on the front of the bus.
Movies in the Park This Week
Enjoy the screening of "Field of Dreams" on the plaza of the Chicago History Museum on Tuesday, June 27 at 8:30 PM.
"Big" will be showing in Lincoln Park
, just east of Stockton across from the Cultural Center, on
Wednesday, June 28 at 8:30 PM.
And get ready for "Hook" at Oz Park, on Friday, June 30 at 8:30 PM.
No glass containers or alcoholic beverages, please.
"Then They Came For Me" Opening Reception
Alphawood Gallery will host an opening reception for "Then They Came For Me: Incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII and the Demise of Civil Liberties, an original exhibition on
Wednesday, June 28, 2017 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Office Hours and Closure for 4th of July
In observance of 4th of July, our office will close at 2:00 PM on
Friday, June 30, 2017 and will re-open at 9:00 AM on
Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
If you have a need for city services, please call 3-1-1 for non-emergency requests, or dial 9-1-1 if you require immediate assistance.
Where to Celebrate Independence Day
Chicago History Museum
will be hosting its 58th Annual Independence Day celebration on
Tuesday, July 4, 2017 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
. I'll be there!
Jay Pritzker Pavilion:
Celebrate in Millennium Park with an Independence Day Salute by the Grant Park Symphony on
Tuesday, July 4, 2017 from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Watch a spectacular fireworks show next to Navy Pier on Lake Michigan on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:30 PM.
2017 Senior Sewer Rebate Applications Due
Time for seniors to submit the annual renewal applications for the Senior Sewer Refund Program. Forms were mailed out earlier in the year to previous applicants by the Committee on Finance. New applicants can find information below on how to apply.
- You must be 65 years of age, or older, as of January 1 for the year you are applying.
- You must be the sole owner, or owner in joint tenancy.
- You must occupy the property as your principal place of residence.
- You must own a townhouse, condominium unit, or cooperative apartment.
If you are eligible to apply for the Senior Sewer Rebate and have not yet submitted your paperwork, which includes proof of age, your recent water bill, and your recent property tax bill, please click here for additional information.
Once your application is received by my office, it will be introduced at the next City Council meeting and forwarded to the Committee on Finance for final review and processing. Completed applications and all necessary paperwork should be submitted before the end of July. Please stop in or mail these completed applications to the 43rd Ward Office located at 2523 North Halsted Street Chicago, IL.
Aid a Homeless Veteran Today!
Last call for donations!
We greatly appreciate the donations coming into our office. The 43rd Ward office will be accepting donations on behalf of Operation Help A Hero until
Wednesday, July 5, 2017
. New, store bought items are accepted. Click
to view needed donations.
See you in the neighborhood and keep cool.
Alderman, 43rd Ward
43rd Ward Office Hours: M 9 AM - 7 PM, T-F 9 AM - 6 PM