Place Your Own Text Here.
A Message from our SJSC President
Today's Back-to-School email includes:
- UPDATED Traffic procedures - including new tardy time
- Updates on Construction
- Link to follow Construction cameras
- Diocesan News
- Parking Reminders
- PTO important highlights, including SerraStrong Event
- And other important information to help ensure the start of school runs smoothly
Phase IV Chapel/Creative Center(STEAM wing)/Admin wing is right on schedule!
The excitement continues to grow each and every day as our construction project moves forward on schedule. There will always be construction challenges, however with our construction team made up of our contractor (CWDriver SPG), our construction manager, and our own team of administrators and parents...every challenge is met with an amazing solution.
We want you to be a part of this every step of the way. Here are some ways you can be a part of this project:
- CLICK HERE to watch the day-to-day progress of our project
- Join us for the Blessing of the Contractors at our SerraStrong event
- Leave your handprint on the construction wall
- Look to other communications for such ceremonies as Topping Off (the placing of the final beam on the structure) , Raising of the Bell, placing our Blessed Mother and another special Saint, other special ceremonies throughout the project
- Mark your calendars for OCTOBER 6 AND 7, 2018 (14 months from now), for the Dedication of our Chapel and tours of our new wing
- Participate in the Annual Fund this year as proceeds will go to make the CREATIVE CENTER a state-of-the-art STEAM center
- Leave your family mark - participate in the Brick Project
- Join us on this journey with the Miracle Blossoms Campaign
- Daily prayer for the safety and success of this miracle for our St. Serra Community
You are making a difference for the students of today and tomorrow....Siempre Adelante!
Mrs. Sally Todd Named Interim Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Orange
We wish our former Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Greg Dhuyvetter, much success as he moves on to different educational opportunities. We join together in congratulating Mrs. Sally Todd on her appointment as Interim Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Orange. Our Bishop is committed to the success of each school in the Diocese of Orange. Mrs. Todd will be steadfast in implementing our Bishop's vision.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are SERRASTRONG!
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
Procedures for First Day of School, Monday, August 28!
It is so exciting to begin each new school year with an Open House format on the first day of school. Students are to wear their regular school uniform beginning the first day. We have received permission from the City to park in the neighborhood on the first day, August 28. In addition, our staff will be parking off campus and using our shuttle to allow for more onsite parking for our parents.
For students in TK - Grade Two ONLY, please see below. This Open House format was very effective last year.
TK - Grade 2 Students ONLY
Your designated Open House time is based on siblings and is broken down as follows:
- 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. - For students in TK - Grade 2 with an older sibling
- 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon - For students in TK - Grade 2 without siblings OR with younger (TK - Grade 1) siblings
- If you have more than one child, please divide your time between their classrooms
ALL children in these grades will leave with their parents. There is no formal classroom instruction on this first day. If necessary, Extended Care is available beginning at 9:15 a.m.
but prior registration is necessary. Extended Care is open until 6:00 p.m. Morning Extended Care is not available the first day of school. See below for normal Extended Care hours beginning on Tuesday, August 29.
There is NO 11:30 a.m. dismissal traffic pattern for TK - Grade 2 students.
Grade 3 - 8 Students
- The Open House format runs from 8:30 -10:00 a.m. for these grade levels; parents will be asked to leave the classrooms by 10:00 a.m.
- Parents may walk their children to the classrooms, take pictures, meet the teacher, help the children settle in and visit with other families
- For Grades 3 - 8 ONLY, you may choose to drop your children off by using the regular traffic pattern, which will run from 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
Morning Extended Care is not available the first day of school, but is available beginning at the 12:10 p.m. dismissal, and will be open until 6:00 p.m.
- There will be no supervision for students before 8:30 a.m.
- It is a MINIMUM DAY dismissal - 12:10 p.m. Dismissal will be through the regular traffic pattern
August 29 - 31 are full days, regular traffic. September 1, minimum day dismissal.
Extended Care Program
Extended Care Program hours are 6:30-7:10 a.m. before school and then from the first dismissal time (both on regular and minimum days) to 6:00 p.m. after school. CLICK HERE for further information about the Extended Care Program.
Communication Sent Home on the First Day of School
Each family will receive a "disposable" envelope sent home via their oldest child on the first day of school. In this envelope will be a Scrip packet explaining the Scrip program in detail, plus your Family Car Visor Placards and the passkey for the Parents Only section of our website.
Family Car Visor Placards
In the envelope will be colored placards according to each of your children's grade as per the following:
- Orange - TK and Kindergarten
- Green - Grades 1 and 2
- Yellow - Grades 3-8
Note: Red Preschool placards will be given to each family when they come in for their Preschool Orientation.
These placards are to be used at all pick-up (dismissal) times. NOTE: the Red placards for Preschool and Orange for TK and Kindergarten must be used for BOTH morning drop-off AND afternoon pick-up.
Passkey Change for Parents Only Section of Our Website
Also in the envelope will be t
he 2017-2018 school-year passkey, which is used to access the Parents Only section of our website. The passkey
and for this current year will change on Friday, August 25.
Please keep this passkey close at hand as you will need it throughout the school year.
Note: this passkey is separate from your Sycamore login and/or Family I.D.
Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures for Grades TK - Eight
Note: for the First Day of School, please follow the information provided above
** Preschool parents will receive specific information regarding their drop-off at their Preschool Orientation**
Your undivided attention is crucial for the safety of all students and staff. Cell Phone use is PROHIBITED while driving on the school grounds.
The Administration strongly encourages all families to participate in both our morning and afternoon Bus Program. If you choose to drive, we ask that you please participate in our regular traffic patterns for both morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up. We have a Security Guard that assists us with our traffic flow and entry onto and off campus. To ensure a safe, effective drop-off and pick-up we ask you to follow the procedures outlined below:
Morning Drop-off: 7:10 a.m. to 7:55 a.m.
Note: Drop-off time extended for 2017-2018 construction year ONLY
- The driveway entrance off of Antonio Parkway closes at 7:10 a.m. to ALL traffic.
- Cars must enter through the PEB driveway on Avenida de las Banderas which opens at 7:10 a.m.
- Proceed as directed by a Traffic Officer, either continuing on to the inner campus road or stopping in front of the PEB to drop off your children.
- MAKE SURE your children are ready to exit the vehicle, backpacks and lunches in hand, when it is time for them to unload. Please do not exit your vehicle as we have Traffic Officers available to assist your child.
- If you have been directed on to the inner campus do not stop until the car in front of you has stopped next to the curb on the passenger side. Drop-off on the inner road will be along the back of Building "A"(PEB) and around Building "C" (MEC), back and front.
- Once you drop off your children, wait for direction from a Traffic Officer and then proceed on the inner road to exit campus using the Antonio Parkway driveway. DO NOT attempt to pull around a stopped car in front of you unless directed to do so by a Traffic Officer.
- If you have been directed to stop in front of the PEB to drop off your children, follow the Traffic Officer's instructions as to when to let your children out of the vehicle and then when to proceed to exit back onto Avenida de las Banderas.
Traffic will be stopped as the buses arrive and enter campus.
Traffic Officers are SJSC Staff giving their time to the safety of your children so please show them gratitude and respect.
Our Traffic Officers will direct you when to stop and drop off your children. For the safety of the students, they must unload from the passenger side (right side) of the vehicle, onto the sidewalk. Note: change for this construction year ONLY,
students will proceed immediately to their homerooms once they are dropped off. Students arriving before 7:10 a.m. MUST be checked into Extended Care. Students arriving after 7:55 a.m. will be required to go to the School Office for a Campus Pass.
Extended Care Morning Drop-off: 6:30 a.m. to 7:10 a.m.
Enter the parking lot from Antonio Parkway, park, and walk your child through the gate which is located between the construction fence and Building "C1" (MEC) to the Extended Care Room. Sign in with an Extended Care staff member, then return to your vehicle and exit campus the way you came in, via the Antonio driveway.
Late Morning Drop-off for Grades TK - Eight: After 7:55 a.m.
For this construction year ONLY, the PEB driveway entrance will remain open until 7:55 a.m. Students arriving between 7:45 - 7:55 a.m., will be unloaded in front of the PEB, enter campus from the Kindergarten gate and proceed directly to their homerooms. After 7:55 a.m. the PEB entrance will be closed and you will need to enter campus from the Antonio Parkway entrance. You are to drop off your student in front of the main entrance of Building C3 (MEC), where they will proceed to the School Office to pick up their Campus Pass before proceeding to their class. (Refer to Section 704 of the Parent Student Handbook). If you prefer, you may park and walk your child into the School Office for their Campus Pass.
Tardy slips will be written for students arriving after 7:55 a.m.
Click on map to enlarge
Grades TK through Two Only
- Orange and Green Colored Placards: 2:00 - 2:15 p.m. (Regular Day) 11:30 - 11:45 a.m. (Minimum Day)
- Enter the PEB driveway on Avendia de las Banderas which opens at 1:45 p.m.
- DO NOT arrive earlier as this causes major traffic congestion for the neighborhood.
- Place your family car visor placard on your rear view mirror or visor. (Placards are sent home the first day of school every year.)
- Stop in the PEB drive lanes as directed by the Traffic Officer.
- Students will load from the passenger side (right side) of your car as directed by the Traffic Officer.
- Once the students are loaded you will be directed to move forward and exit back onto Banderas.
Click on map to enlarge
THE PARKING LOT CLOSES TO INCOMING TRAFFIC
AT 2:25 P.M. (REGULAR DAY) AND 11:55 A.M. (MINIMUM DAY)
(THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS ARE VIP AND RESERVED SPOTS)
Afternoon Pick-up: Grades Three to Eight and "Lator-Gators" from Grades TK to Two
- Yellow Colored Placards: 2:40 -3:00 p.m. (Regular Day) 12:10 -12:30 p.m. (Minimum Day)
Note: "Lator Gators" are those TK-Two students with older siblings or carpools, who will wait until the later dismissal of the day for departure.
- DO NOT arrive before 2:20 p.m. as you will interfere with the earlier dismissal procedure and will be directed to circle around until all the 2:00 p.m. dismissal traffic has cleared.
- Enter the PEB driveway on Avenida de las Banderas.
- Place your family car visor placard on your rear view mirror or visor. (Placards are sent home the first day of school every year.)
- Follow the directions of the Traffic Officer as to which lane to proceed to.
- Stop your car and load your children on the inner road staging areas.
- The names displayed on your placard will be announced so that your children will know to come to your car once traffic has come to a complete stop.
- FOR THEIR SAFETY, do not ask your child to approach your car without having been directed to do so by a Traffic Officer.
- Proceed as directed by the Traffic Officer to exit the campus through the Antonio driveway.
- DO NOT ask your children to meet you on the street or in the parking lot as that is not safe and they will be prohibited from doing so. Only students who have received prior authorization may walk home or walk to the public transportation benches located on Antonio Parkway. A Permission for Student to Leave Campus After School form must be filled out, signed by a parent/guardian and be approved by the Assistant Principal, Student Services every year, for any student who wishes to leave campus unaccompanied by their parent/guardian. Direct any inquires to the Assistant Principal, Student Services. Approval will be determined by the School's Administration with consideration of the student's safety and well-being.
- For this 2017-2018 construction year ONLY, walkers will exit campus via the Kindergarten gate next to the PEB where we will have a crossing guard to assist them in crossing the lanes of our PEB driveway.
- If you choose to walk onto campus to pick up your child(ren) you may enter campus through the Kindergarten gate after 2:30 p.m. No one will be permitted to walk onto campus through the main driveway on Antonio Parkway once traffic has begun.
- In the event of inclement weather during afternoon pick-up, pop-up tents will be erected to keep the students as dry as possible. Pick-up procedures will remain the same.
- Never leave your car unattended along the red curb or while in the drop-off or pick-up line once traffic has started, as doing so will interrupt the flow and may block access in the event of an emergency.
- When exiting campus onto Antonio Parkway please use caution and courtesy. An attempt to cross three lanes is dangerous and holds up the entire flow of traffic in the lot. An immediate right hand turn onto Antonio and then a U-turn at Empressa is much safer and would be appreciated by the drivers waiting in line behind you.
- If you have asked someone unfamiliar with dropping-off or picking-up the students,(other family members, babysitter, etc.), please review the procedures thoroughly with them beforehand.
- At NO TIME during morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up are you allowed to be in, drive through or use the Memorial Care Health Facility parking lot. It is private property and off limits to us. They are a private business and need their parking lot for their staff and patients.
- The adjacent neighborhood, Cabrillo Vista, located to the North of the PEB, has a City of RSM Parking Permit Program which is in effect on school days from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Vehicles parked without a valid City-issued permit will be ticketed.
- DO NOT park in or drop off your children in the condo complex adjacent to the school field/parking lot or in any of the surrounding neighborhoods to walk to school. This is very dangerous and against policy.
- In order to maintain a cordial relationship with all the surrounding communities, we ask that you follow all parking restrictions and traffic laws to lessen the disruption to our neighbors. When you do legally park in any of the residential areas, please make sure to be good ambassadors of SJSC by not blocking driveways, moving or blocking trash cans or leaving trash behind. Always drive carefully, being watchful for children at play. Any family who continually disregards this request is in defiance of the Code of Christian Conduct (Section 402) and could incur consequences.
- Please bring your patience and allow plenty of time, both in the morning and afternoon, for the safety of the students, yourself and the staff implementing the traffic procedures.
Click image to enlarge
Sports Pick-up: Before 2:25p.m.
Enter via the Antonio driveway, park as directed by the Security Guard and then meet the students in the School Lobby.
Meetings, Spectator Events, Sports Pick-up, and Extended Care Pick-up: 2:25 to 3:00 p.m.
To attend meetings or after-school activities including sports on campus, or to pick up your Preschool- Grade Two child(ren) from Extended Care, follow the Pick-up Procedures for Grades Three to Eight as outlined above, and park in the Antonio parking lot.
Extended Care Pick-up: At the conclusion of afternoon traffic
Enter through the Antonio driveway, park, and walk through the gate located between the construction fence and Building "C1"(MEC) to the Extended Care Room. Sign your child out, return to your vehicle and exit campus via the Antonio driveway.
Parking on Campus
Parking is extremely limited on campus. Parents/guardians and visitors to campus may park in the parking spaces marked as "Visitor". SJSC staff members have designated numbered parking spaces. Parents/guardians and visitors may only park in those staff numbered parking spaces before 6:45 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and anytime on the weekend. NOTE: At NO time may you park in the spots reserved for the President or Principals as they are often here for evening and weekend meetings/events. If a staff space is open during the day, it is NOT available to park in. Periodically, staff must leave campus during the school day and will need their space when they return. This is imperative for student safety and supervision. There will occasionally be days when an orange cone is placed in a Visitors Space to reserve that space for a special visiting guest. Please respect the "no parking" cones when in these spaces.
For safety reasons, if you are parked in any of the on-campus parking spaces and the morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up has begun, you must wait until the traffic pattern ends before pulling out of the parking space.
There are "VIP Parking" spaces on campus which are designated with a personalized sign. These spaces have been purchased or won at one of the school's fundraising events. Please DO NOT park in any of these spaces at any time, including evenings and weekends.
By law, we are required to have a certain number of designated preschool parking spots. NO ONE other than preschool parents can park in these spots during the times posted (6:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.). After 1:00 p.m. these spots are designated for our Extended Care staff ONLY. This will be strictly enforced.
One parking space has also been designated for "Chaplain Parking." Please respect this space.
As a reminder, the City Parking Permit Program is in effect in the neighborhood on school days from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Vehicles parked without a valid City-issued permit will be ticketed.
Periodically, the school does receive an exemption to the parking program and families will be notified via the weekly SerraDIPITY electronic newsletter when it is permissible to park on El Vado and Galisteo.
We have received permission from the City to park in the neighborhood on the first day of school, Monday, August 28.
The program will be enforced all other school days.
At NO TIME is parking allowed in the Memorial Care Health Facility lot. They are a private business and need their parking lot for their staff and patients during business hours which coincide with school hours. Likewise, the Condo Complex on La Ventana to the south of the school is off limits for parking as it also is private property and those residents have very limited parking themselves.
Thank you for being courteous to our neighbors at all times. In order to maintain a cordial relationship with all the surrounding communities we ask that you follow all traffic procedures, laws, and parking restrictions to lessen the disruption to our neighbors. Any family who continually disregards this request is in defiance of the Code of Christian Conduct (Section 402 of our Parent Student Handbook) and could incur consequences.
Weekly SerraDIPITY Newsletter to Begin Thursday, August 31
The first school-wide weekly electronic newsletter, SerraDIPITY, will be sent out
Thursday, August 31. The first Family Yellow Envelope will be sent home on Thursday, September 7.
To add an additional E-mail address to receive the:
CLICK HERE Serra
DIPITY Weekly E-mai
l (Constant Contact)
SAVE THE DATES!
Mark your calendars for these important upcoming events:
September 5: Grades Five - Eight
September 7: Grades Three & Four
September 12: Grades One & Two
September 14: Preschool, Pre-K, TK, & Kindergarten
Welcome back! We look forward to the start of the 2017-2018 school year and the many programs and activities to come! Visit the PTO EVENTS & PROGRAMS page for more information on PTO-sponsored programs offered at St. Serra. Please click on the links below for details on upcoming events and a special message from PTO President Dana Maas:
Health Room Notice Regarding Medication:
If your child will be taking medication (prescription or over-the-counter) while at school, please see the following important information:
- Students must take any and all medication in the Health Room.
- Students are not allowed to carry medicine on them at any time.
- All medicine for students needs to be dropped off in the Health Room by an adult the first week of school, along with a Medication Authorization form.
- Medicine will not be administered without a completed Medication Authorization form on file in the Health Room. The form must be signed by your child's doctor.
- The Medication Authorization form can be found in the Parents section of our website under Health Room, or you can CLICK HERE.
If you have any questions, please call Mary Hogan at 546-8705.
Safe Environment Training & Fingerprinting for Volunteers
The Diocese of Orange requires that
that have contact with students at a school site:
1.) must be fingerprinted
2.) must complete Safe Environment training (an online training course).
for more information on how to fulfill these requirements.