A Message from our SJSC President
The excitement continues to grow as we move closer and closer to day one, August 28, 2017. Recently, we sent you an important Constant Contact email on July 31, 2017 which included the announcement of our new app. Please download the new app from the iTunes or Google store. All of the our Constant Contact email communications can be found on our website at Parents>SerraDIPITY Archives.
Today's Back-to-School email includes:
- Announcement of new education staff
- Class List article
- Placement article
- Update on Pre-School/TK program
- Boot Camp news
- Opening Day Open House format
- Sign up for In-N-Out
- A few reminders from PTO
- Important dates to save
Next important Back-to-School email, August 22 to include:
- UPDATED Traffic procedures - including new tardy time
- Updates on Construction
- Link to follow Construction cameras
- Final information for SerraStrong Event
- Busing information
- Diocesan News
- Other PTO important highlights
Welcome to NEW EDUCATION STAFF and a few changes
I want to first personally thank the education administrators and our teachers for their dedication to student learning for all students. We are blessed with the best educators who demonstrate commitment to a deep faith and a professional love for student learning. Welcome to the following teachers with a couple of changes:
Jessica Wolf moves to teach our third Pre-School 4-year-old class
- Dottie Dennehy continues as one of our TK teachers in TK-A
- Angela Escudero moves to become our second TK teacher in TK-B
- Camille Mazloomian, KB teacher - WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Michele Hoey moves to 2D
- Jenny Pyle moves to 3D
- Brian Allison, 4C teacher - WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Jennifer Lane, 8C teacher -WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Annie Kretzmer, Advanced ELA teacher - WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Cris Gomez, Spanish teacher (permanent position)
- Allie Rivera, Advanced ELA and Math (permanent position)
- Danielle DiCorpo, Learning Support Director (Grades 4-8) - WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Ella Bummer, Media Center Specialist (Library) - WELCOME TO SERRA
We do have some new instructional assistants and staff who have moved to other positions. We will continue to announce these at Back-to-School Nights.
Your CLASS LISTS are ready - the wait is over! Posted online, August 11 at 8:30 a.m.
Click the links below to be taken to the appropriate grade-level class lists on our website:
Please Note: Class Lists will be removed from our website on August 27. Please print or download your Class Lists prior to this date.
Soon to follow - PLACEMENT LETTERS: Week of August 14
- Thank you to the teachers and education team for working hard to prepare these placements for student success
- Each letter details your child's/children's Math and ELA placement
EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAMS
Pre-School/TK at St. Serra are exciting and expanding to meet all student needs
Our growing Preschool Program, now located in the PEB wing, includes:
- One Pre-School 3-year-old classroom
- Three Pre-K (4-year-old) classrooms - There are a limited number of spaces remaining. Registrations being accepted now. Flexible scheduling available.
- We now have two Transitional Kindergarten Classes!
- Smaller class size, with two full-time teachers and three instructional assistants.
- They are located in the Extended Care room during the school day.
- Extended Care will continue to use the room before and after school.
- Our Transitional Kindergarten students will benefit from a larger space, collaborative center-approach learning and a team of talented educators supporting them.
The success of our Early Childhood Programs is such a blessing to our SJSCS community!
BOOTCAMPS for Grades 3-8 with new laptops a HUGE SUCCESS...did you sign up for yours?
Our Bootcamps for the new laptops have been a huge hit! Both students and parents are excited and energized. To receive your child's laptop all families MUST ATTEND a Bootcamp ASAP. If you have not yet signed up, please CLICK HERE.
- Students must attend the Bootcamp in order to check-out their laptop
- One parent must accompany students at the Bootcamp
- "Family" sessions have been scheduled to allow one parent to attend with multiple students from their family
- Each Bootcamp session will last 2-1/2 hours
- Morning, afternoon, and evening sessions will be offered
- Registration is required for Bootcamp; walk-ins will not be accepted
- Laptops are required when school begins
If your family will not be available to attend any of the dates listed above, please e-mail
BACK-TO-SCHOOL Information - First Day of School, Monday, August 28!
It is so exciting to begin each new school year with an Open House format on the first day of school. Students are to wear their regular school uniform beginning the first day. We have received permission from the City to park in the neighborhood on the first day, August 28. In addition, our staff will be parking off campus and using our shuttle to allow for more onsite parking for our parents.
For students in TK - Grade Two ONLY, please see below. This Open House format was very effective last year.
TK - Grade 2 Students ONLY
Your designated Open House time is based on siblings and is broken down as follows:
- 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. - For students in TK - Grade 2 with an older sibling
- 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon - For students in TK - Grade 2 without siblings OR with younger (TK - Grade 1) siblings
- If you have more than one child, please divide your time between their classrooms
ALL children in these grades will leave with their parents. There is no formal classroom instruction on this first day. If necessary, Extended Care is available beginning at 9:15 a.m.
but prior registration is necessary. Extended Care is open until 6:00 p.m. Before school Extended Care is not available the first day of school. See below for normal Extended Care hours beginning on Tuesday, August 29.
There is NO 11:30 a.m. dismissal traffic pattern for TK - Grade 2 students.
Grade 3 - 8 Students
- The Open House format runs from 8:30 -10:00 a.m. for these grade levels; parents will be asked to leave the classrooms by 10:00 a.m.
- Parents may walk their children to the classrooms, take pictures, meet the teacher, help the children settle in and visit with other families
- For Grades 3 - 8 ONLY, you may choose to drop your children off by using the regular traffic pattern, which will run from 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
Before school, Extended Care is not available the first day of school, but is available beginning at the 12:10 p.m. dismissal, and will be open until 6:00 p.m.
- There will be no supervision for students before 8:30 a.m.
- It is a MINIMUM DAY dismissal - 12:10 p.m. Dismissal will be through the regular traffic pattern
August 29 - 31 are full days, regular traffic. September 1, minimum day dismissal.
SERRASTRONG! Welcome Back & Volunteer Fair Event
Thursday, August 24, 2017
4:00 p.m. New Families
4:30 - 7:00 p.m. All Families Welcome
Important News from the Health Room
The law prohibits schools from unconditionally admitting students without the required immunizations.
All new and current students must show documentation to the Health Room of all updated booster shots, including the Tdap vaccine (whooping cough). If this documentation is not received before August 29, 2017 your child will not be able to begin school until all of the immunizations are complete.
If you have any questions, please call Mary Hogan at 546-8705.
SAPPHIRE LUNCH Registration
The sign-up information was included in the July 31 email. To register your student for Sapphire lunch, use your Sycamore number. For new families and for those who have forgotten their number, our School Office staff is happy to give you your number. See below for instructions on setting up your account:
- Please note that when selecting your "School District", your school's name will NOT appear. Please select "Sapphire at School".
- Once your secure account has been established, it's time to add your student(s) by using their Sycamore Student ID number assigned by the school.
2017-2018 Lunch/ Recess Service Hours Scheduling
Scheduling for Lunch/Recess Service hours is now LIVE via Sign-up Genius!
to sign up.
Families who have not scheduled or bought out their required Lunch/Recess duties by
October 31, 2017 will be invoiced through our incidental billing process at the rate of $15 per hour.
If necessary to reschedule, please do so in advance to Rosie Chavez, Yard Supervisor 888-1990 ext 140 or
No-shows will be invoiced through our incidental process at the rate of $30 per hour.
In-N-Out Ordering Open Now!
In-N-Out is here again with lunches beginning in October this year!
There will be no In-N-Out in August and September. In-N-Out is served
on Thursday of each month by parent volunteers (with a few exceptions, including every first
Thursday of the month and minimum/non-school days). Please be sure to look at the dates of the In-N-Out lunches carefully and plan accordingly (all dates are listed on the In-N-Out page). The annual form and monthly forms are available NOW!
to visit the In-N-Out page and to order lunches.
After-School Sports 2017-2018
Fall sports include: Girls Volleyball (5th-8th grade), Boys Flag Football
(5th-8th grade), and Spirit Squad (5th-8th grade).
Mark your calendar and
for your tryout form for Girls Volleyball and Boys Flag Football. Click the appropriate link below for information on tryout dates and times.
*You must fill out the form in order to tryout
How Do I...?
We know navigating a new website or a new school can be challenging, so we've created this new section called "How Do I...?"on our website to help answer many of the FAQ's we receive from our parents.
to be taken to this webpage.
We are still building this knowledge database, and will constantly be adding and updating this information, so please check back often!
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact Stephanie Callahan, Administrative Assistant, Marketing & Communications at
SAVE THE DATES!
Mark your calendars for these important upcoming events:
September 5: Grades Five - Eight
September 7: Grades Three & Four
September 12: Grades One & Two
September 14: Preschool, Pre-K, TK, & Kindergarten
December 1: TK, Kindergarten & First Grade
December 5: Grades Five - Eight
December 7: Grades Two - Four
December 15: Preschool & Pre-K
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are SERRASTRONG!
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24