|A Message from our SJSC President
Because of our partnership--#Herewegrow
Our St. Junipero Serra Chapel and the Student Creation and Leadership Center have changed the landscape of our campus. The moment you drive onto the campus, the excitement is ever present. These new additions to our campus bring to life our love for our Catholic Faith and the life of Jesus Christ, our commitment to advanced student collaborative learning and our recognition that leadership is a partnership of administration and parents.
Have you marked your calendar for Blessing and Dedication weekend, October 6 and 7, 2018:
- Saturday, October 6 from 9:30 a.m - 4:00 p.m.
Dedication and Blessing of Chapel
Ribbon cutting for Student Creation and Leadership Center
Tours of all new campus
- Sunday, October 7 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Tours and entire campus open
We hope all of our families can come to St. Serra on this special weekend and savor in the campus your children will thrive on each and every day. Bring a friend either day!
Are you connected to SJSC to keep abreast of the exciting learning and growth happening each day:
We have shared the growth this summer on our social media sites and our website. Whether you're on social media, our app or our website, you can be connected.
Today's Back-to-School email includes:
- Announcement of new education staff
- Class List and Placement article
- Opening Day Open House format
- Sign up for In-N-Out
- A few reminders from PTO
- Important dates to save
Next important Back-to-School email, August 27, 2018 to include:
- UPDATED Traffic procedures-including school hours
- October 6-7 Dedication and Blessing weekend more detailed information
- Final information for SerraStrong Event
- Other PTO important highlights
- Sapphire lunch details and new ordering format
Welcome to NEW EDUCATION STAFF and a few changes:
I want to first personally thank the education administrators and our teachers for their dedication to student learning for all students. We are blessed with the best educators who demonstrate commitment to a deep faith and a professional love for student learning. We welcome to our teaching team the following new teachers and announce some exciting current St. Serra teachers' new positions. The focus here is on administration, homeroom teachers, ELA/MATH and specialty teachers. There are a few instructional assistant announcements and department staff announcements. Look to early SerraDIPITIES and Back-to-School night for more announcements.
- Carol Reiss-as announced Principal grades Pre-School to 4
- Alison Daley-as announced Principal grades 5-8...WELCOME BACK TO ST. SERRA
- Julie Radzai-accepted Assistant Principal grades 5-8
- Ellen Burrola-accepted Assistant Principal grades Pre-School to 4
- Corey Overton-accepted position of Vice President-Marketing/Communications/Admissions
- Beth Thomas-accepted position of Director of Educational Technology
- Emily Furman-accepts Pre-K D teacher
- Julia Boyle-accepts KD teacher
- James Miyashiro-moves to become 2A teacher
- Matthew Viles-2C teacher...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Stella Yap-moves to 3B teacher
- Cara Masters-moves to 3D teacher
- Jenny Pyle-moves to 4A teacher
- Mike Letourneau-4B teacher...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Jodi Howard-5A teacher...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Glen Inducil-moves to 5C teacher
- Lisa Bell-7A teacher...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Marisa Freeborn-8B partner teacher with Karen Wilcox...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Marissa Benudiz-moves to Small Group Math & ELA grades 2 and 4
- Giovanna Jimenez-Small Group Math & ELA grades 1 and 3...WELCOME BACK TO ST. SERRA
- Tricia Crowe-Middle School Small group...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Dawn Ziemer-moves to Creativity Lab as lower grade facilitator
- Angela Johnson-Educational Technology teacher...WELCOME TO ST. SERRA
- Catherine Fleming-moves to Catechesis of the Good Shepard
- Carrie Fiore-Decathlon head coach, teacher at large for support of Middle School...WELCOME BACK TO ST. SERRA
SAVE THE DATES!
Mark your calendars for these important upcoming events:
September 11: Grades Five - Eight
September 13: Grades Two - Four
September 20: Preschool to Grade One
December 6: Grades Two - Four
December 11: Grades Five - Eight
December 14: TK, Kindergarten & First Grade
December 19: Preschool & Pre-K
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
First Day of School, Tuesday, September 4!
It is so exciting to begin each new school year with an Open House format on the first day of school. Students are to wear their regular school uniform beginning the first day. We have received permission from the City to park in the neighborhood on the first day, September 4.
For students in TK - Grade Two ONLY, please see below. This Open House format has been very effective to ensure you have time to help our littlest bears get settled in.
TK - Grade 2 Students ONLY
Your designated Open House time is based on siblings and is broken down as follows:
- 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. - For students in TK - Grade 2 with an older sibling
- 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon - For students in TK - Grade 2 without siblings OR with younger (TK - Grade 1) siblings
- If you have more than one child, please divide your time between their classrooms
ALL children in these grades will leave with their parents. There is no formal classroom instruction on this first day. If necessary, Extended Care is available beginning at 9:15 a.m., but prior registration is necessary. Extended Care is open until 6:00 p.m. Before school Extended Care is not available the first day of school. Extended care is open the afternoon of the first day of school, Tuesday, September 4 and opens officially at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 5. See August 27 Constant Contact for further information.
There is NO 11:30 a.m. dismissal traffic pattern for TK - Grade 2 students the first day of school.
Grade 3 - 8 Students
- The Open House format runs from 8:30 -10:00 a.m. for these grade levels; parents will be asked to leave the classrooms by 10:00 a.m.
- Parents may walk their children to the classrooms, take pictures, meet the teacher, help the children settle in and visit with other families
- For Grades 3 - 8 ONLY, you may choose to drop your children off by using the regular traffic pattern, which will run from 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
- Before school, Extended Care is not available the first day of school, but is available beginning at the 12:10 p.m. dismissal, and will be open until 6:00 p.m.
- There will be no supervision for students before 8:30 a.m.
- It is a MINIMUM DAY dismissal - 12:10 p.m. Dismissal will be through the regular traffic pattern. The constant contact on August 27, 2018 will have further traffic pattern information.
September 5-6 are full days, regular traffic. September 7, minimum day dismissal.
CLASS LISTS -
POSTED ONLINE, AUGUST 14 AT 8:30 a.m.
Class lists will be posted on our website at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 14. After that time, click the links below to be taken to the appropriate grade-level class lists on our website:
Class Lists will be removed from our website on August 31. Please print or download your Class Lists prior to this date.
Soon to follow: You will receive your student's Placement Letter through the mail at the end of August.
For further clarification regarding class lists, contact:
PTO GIFT GATHERING KICKOFF
Donate Now and Save on Tuition!
New this year...Golf Classic, Harvest Festival, Anchor Ball and Parent Child event teams have worked together to create a master wish list of items to support all events this coming year - restaurant and retail gift cards, sporting and event tickets, hot items for kids and more. No longer will each event be separately asking for donations, but as a one-stop gathering place, all events are working together to make it easier for families to support the auctions, opportunity drawing, raffles and more. Your support of our fundraisers directly benefit all students! Best of all, many of the gift card donations can be purchased through Scrip, which means you can donate and save on tuition!
Check out the
Gift Gathering Wish List
and sign up to make your donation now!
Donations can be turned into the School Office anytime or at the SerraStrong Event on Tuesday, August 28.
SERRASTRONG WELCOME EVENT AND VOLUNTEER FAIR
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Returning Families: 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Come join us for the Ultimate Obstacle Course, TK Burger, and More...
All are invited to our SerraStrong Welcome Back & Volunteer Fair Event! Reconnect with friends and faculty and welcome new families to our SJSC community. New families are invited to arrive at 4:00 p.m. Returning families are welcome at 4:30 p.m. Join us for a special blessing (at 4:30 p.m.) to begin the new school year, and enjoy food, fun, games and music.
- Pick up your SerraStrong T-Shirts (Pre-ordered through the 2018-19 School Year Re-enrollment Process)
- Sign up for Volunteer Opportunities (including all of our amazing events and lunch duty)
- Safe Environment and Fingerprinting Information (to be eligible to volunteer on campus, field trips, etc.)
- Scrip Program Information
- Serra Spirit Store Open! Buy your PE T-shirts and PE Shorts (Female and Unisex styles available)
- St. Serra Golf Classic Registration and Ball Drop Sales
- Harvest Festival Grand Prize Raffle Tickets & T-shirt Sales
- Lunch Program Overview
Service Project - Food for the Homeless:
We will be collecting items for homeless packages distributed through Catholic Charities of Orange County. Contributions can include: socks, juice boxes, bottled water, snack bars (ie: granola bars), travel size amenities (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, lotion). Thank you for your support!
will be on campus serving dinner.
for your meal today! Pre-ordered meals are due by
Monday, August 20, at 3:00 p.m. $8.00 pre-sale/$10.00 at the door. Orders must be received online by the deadline above to receive the discounted pricing.
If you would like to get a jump-start on your volunteer hours by helping with this event, CLICK HERE to sign up. Questions? Please contact PTO VP-Community, Melissa Singleton or Event Chair, Jessica Hudson at
In-N-Out Lunch for September - Last Call!
to purchase your students In-N-Out lunch for September! Orders due Friday, August 24, 3:00 p.m. REMINDER:
Annual Orders (October - June Meals) and October Monthly Orders begin Tuesday, August 28. NEW UPDATE: Plain and Everything options are now posted.
Sapphire Lunch Program - Watch for the August 27 Constant Contact
Our Sapphire Lunch Program is back! Sapphire has a new ordering system and more news coming! Please watch for ordering details in our Constant Contact Monday, August 27.
Thank you for your patience.
2018-2019 LUNCH/RECESS VOLUNTEER SERVICE HOUR SCHEDULING
Sign-ups for Lunch/Recess duty will be available at the SerraStrong Event from 4:00-7:00p.m. You can sign-up to volunteer for any of the following:
- TK/K Lunch/Recess
- Snack Bar
- Sapphire Lunch
- In-n-Out Lunch
If you are not able to attend the SerraStrong Event, you can sign-up on the first day of school in the Yard Supervision office, or contact Rosie Chavez, Yard Supervisor 888-1990 ext 140 or
AFTER-SCHOOL SPORTS 2018-2019
Mark your calendar and
for your tryout form for Girls Volleyball and Boys Flag Football. Click the appropriate link below for information on tryout dates and times.
*You must fill out the form in order to try out.