Place Your Own Text Here.
A MESSAGE FROM OUR SCHOOL PRESIDENT
Today's Back-to-School E-mail Includes:
- PTO important highlights, including SerraStrong Event
- And other important information to help ensure the start of school runs smoothly
- Annie Jr. - Auditions Coming soon!
- In-N-Out Program News
UPDATES TO OPENING OF CHAPEL AND STUDENT CREATION & LEADERSHIP CENTER INCLUDING TRAFFIC NEWS
We are so very blessed to have our new phase ready to go. Our new phase will be ready as we have published throughout the project. Here are some exciting updates:
- The Student Creativity Lab will welcome students the week of September 10. Training and set up is still ongoing. Look to our social media for the fun our teachers had during training.
- The leadership wing with the Parent Hub is open and functioning. Last minute painting and furnishings arrive week of August 27.
- Chapel furnishings arrive this week between August 28 through mid-September. The chapel is sealed except for training until the Blessing and Dedication on Saturday, October 6, 2018.
- Landscaping continues and all will be complete except our Rosary Garden by the first day of school, September 4.
- Work by the chapel and Rosary Garden will be blocked off from the students with fencing until it is complete. Safety is important! Our construction company remains (Driver SPG) and all subs are covered through Compliance Depot as mandated by the Diocese. They will not have access to students. Fencing will be up before Sept. 4. We need it open now for deliveries and work.
- The new gate by the three-bell arches will be installed this week and functioning to lock down our campus during school hours. This gate will function like our old gate--open in the a.m., closed throughout the day then open for Extended Care in the p.m.
- CHAPEL is not for the outside public. Once it is open we will explain all the safety procedures we have put in place...students and our parents...you will enjoy daily.
- Eighth grade lunch area is back and will be ready for the first day of school. The new canopy has been installed.
- The fifth - seventh grade lunch area is so much bigger than before. It will be ready for the first day of school. This area is also used by Extended Care, as before, and will extend the area for Extended Care usage. This will be ready with the new canopy on first day of school.
- Contractors will not be working near our two lunch areas starting Sept. 4-- they will be behind fencing.
- The parking lot has been resurfaced. We have our entire lot back. Good news! We will also be getting our side walkway back off Antonio in mid-September.
- Did you notice if you drove by that all other buildings have been painted? If you come to the SerraStrong event you will see how beautifully we have transformed our campus.
- Newly designed banners adorn our parking lot and campus reflecting our parishes, virtues and our many activities for students.
Updated traffic pattern, start times and parking will be coming to you in a special Constant Contact on Thursday, August 30. All will be much easier than during the construction year.
Important Message from Dr. Erin Barisano, Superintendent of Schools
Please take a moment to read a
from our Superintendent of Schools to all parents/guardians in the Diocese of Orange for the 2018-2019 school year.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
We are one united community in Christ -
courageous, kind, humble, and joyful.
So in Christ, we though many, form one body.
- Romans 12:5
First Day of School, Tuesday, September 4
There will be an Open House format on the first day of school. Students are to wear their regular school uniform beginning the first day. We have received permission from the city of Rancho Santa Margarita to park in the neighborhood on the first day, September 4.
For students in TK - Grade Two ONLY, please see below. This Open House format has been very effective to ensure you have time to help our littlest bears get settled in.
TK - Grade 2 Students ONLY
Your designated Open House time is based on siblings and is broken down as follows:
- 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. - For students in TK - Grade 2 with an older sibling
- 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon - For students in TK - Grade 2 without siblings OR with younger (TK - Grade 1) siblings
- If you have more than one child, please divide your time between their classrooms
ALL children in these grades will leave with their parents. There is no formal classroom instruction on this first day. If necessary, Extended Care is available beginning at 9:15 a.m., but prior registration is necessary. Extended Care is open until 6:00 p.m. Before school Extended Care is not available the first day of school. Extended care is open the afternoon of the first day of school, Tuesday, September 4 and opens officially at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 5. See August 27 Constant Contact for further information.
There is NO 11:30 a.m. dismissal traffic pattern for TK - Grade 2 students the first day of school.
Grade 3 - 8 Students
- The Open House format runs from 8:30 -10:00 a.m. for these grade levels; parents will be asked to leave the classrooms by 10:00 a.m.
- Parents may walk their children to the classrooms, take pictures, meet the teacher, help the children settle in and visit with other families
- For Grades 3 - 8 ONLY, you may choose to drop your children off by using the regular traffic pattern, which will run from 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
- Before school, Extended Care is not available the first day of school, but is available beginning at the 12:10 p.m. dismissal, and will be open until 6:00 p.m.
- There will be no supervision for students before 8:30 a.m.
- It is a MINIMUM DAY dismissal - 12:10 p.m. Dismissal will be through the regular traffic pattern. The constant contact on August 27, 2018 will have further traffic pattern information.
REMINDER: September 5-6 are full days, regular traffic. September 7, minimum day dismissal.
Extended Care Program
Extended Care Program hours are 6:30-7:10 a.m. before school and then from the first dismissal time (both on regular and minimum days) to 6:00 p.m. after school. CLICK HERE for further information about the Extended Care Program.
COMMUNICATION SENT HOME ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Each family will receive a "disposable" envelope sent home via their oldest child on the first day of school. In this envelope will be a Rebate Program packet explaining the rebate program in detail, plus your Family Car Visor Placards and the passkey for the Parents Only section of our website.
Family Car Visor Placards
In the envelope will be colored placards according to each of your children's grade as per the following:
- Orange - TK and Kindergarten
- Green - Grades 1 and 2
- Yellow - Grades 3-8
Note: Red Preschool placards will be given to each family when they come in for their Preschool Orientation.
These placards are to be used at all pick-up (dismissal) times. NOTE: the Red placards for Preschool and Orange for TK and Kindergarten must be used for BOTH morning drop-off AND afternoon pick-up.
Passkey Change for Parents Only Section of Our Website
Also in the envelope will be t
he 2018-2019 school-year passkey, which is used to access the Parents Only section of our website. The passkey
and for the 2018-2019 school year, the change will take place on Tuesday, September 4.
Please keep this passkey close at hand as you will need it throughout the school year.
Note: this passkey is separate from your Sycamore login and/or Family I.D.
WEEKLY SerraDIPITY NEWSLETTER TO BEGIN THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
The first school-wide weekly electronic newsletter, SerraDIPITY, will be sent out
Thursday, September 6 as well as the Yellow Monthly Envelope to be sent home with your oldest child.
Your preferred family email will automatically receive the SerraDIPITY and Sunday Parent Email. To add additional email addresses (besides your preferred email address) click below:
CLICK HERE Serra
DIPITY Weekly E-mai
l (Constant Contact)
Mark your calendars for these important upcoming events:
September 11: Grades Five - Eight
September 13: Grades Two - Four
September 20: Preschool to Grade One
December 6: Grades Two - Four
December 11: Grades Five - Eight
December 14: TK, Kindergarten & First Grade
December 19: Preschool & Pre-K
SAFE ENVIRONMENT TRAINING & FINGERPRINTING FOR VOLUNTEERS
The Diocese of Orange requires that
that have contact with students at a school site:
1.) must be fingerprinted
2.) must complete Safe Environment training (an online training course).
for more information on how to fulfill these requirements.
HEALTH ROOM NOTICE REGARDING MEDICATION
If your child will be taking medication (prescription or over-the-counter) while at school, please see the following important information:
- Students must take any and all medication in the Health Room
- Students are not allowed to carry medicine on them at any time
- All medicine for students needs to be dropped off in the Health Room by an adult the first week of school, along with a Medication Authorization form
- Medicine will not be administered without a completed Medication Authorization form on file in the Health Room. The form must be signed by your child's doctor
- The Medication Authorization form can be found on the Health Room page on our website
If you have any questions, please call Mary Hogan at 546-8705.
SERRASTRONG! VOLUNTEER FAIR & WELCOME BACK EVENT
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
New Families from 4:00-7:00 p.m
All Families from 4:30-7:00 p.m.
SJSC Campus - Enter through the School Lobby to the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard
Kick off the 2018-2019 school year with our Serra Strong Volunteer Fair & Welcome Back Event! Reconnect with friends and faculty and welcome new families to our SJSC community. Make sure to arrive early to enjoy the official school year blessing by Mrs. Trudell and enjoy food, fun, games and music.
- Volunteer Fair - Sign up for service hours for the 2018-2019 school year
- Serra Spirit Store Open! Buy PE uniforms and pick up online orders! (purchased before 8/20/18 3:00 p m.)
- Obstacle Course Challenge and DJ - Try and make it through without falling, hitting an obstacle, or getting eliminated. Then, try and do it the fastest!
- Golf Ball Drop tickets, Harvest Festival raffle tickets & incentives and scrip will be available for purchase
- Service Project - Bring non-perishable food donations or travel size toiletries for the homeless
- TK Burger Dinner - Walkup & Presale meal includes hamburger, cheeseburger, veggie burger or chicken sandwich, chips and a drink (soda or bottled water.) Just added...Snow Cones! $3 each
- And More!
Please contact PTO VP Community, Melissa Singleton and Event Chair Jessica Hudson at
We look forward to seeing you back on campus on
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
2018-2019 LUNCH VOLUNTEER SERVICE HOUR SCHEDULING
Sign-ups for Lunch Duty will be available at the SerraStrong Event from 4:00-7:00 p.m. You can sign-up to volunteer for any of the following:
- TK/K Lunch
- Snack Bar (a.m. or p.m.)
- Sapphire Lunch
- In-N-Out Lunch
If you are not able to attend the SerraStrong Event, you can sign-up on the first day of school in the Yard Supervision Office, or contact Rosie Chavez, Yard Supervisor at 888-1990 ext 140, or
ST. SERRA GOLF CLASSIC
Monday, September 24, 2018
Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club
Early Registration $295 available now! Register Today! All are welcome to join us for a great Dinner and Silent Auction!
ANNIE JR. IS COMING SOON TO AN SAC NEAR YOU!
Winter Musical Auditions Start Monday, September 17
Mark your calendars! Auditions for Annie Jr. will be held
(grades 5-8) and
(grades 1-4) in the Middle School Music room (SCLS).
Students in grades one through eight are invited to audition for this fun and entertaining musical. All information can be found on the
SJSC website > Campus Life>Theater Arts
. Students are asked to complete an Audition Application before
and submit to Mrs. Sifers. Audition materials including music, scripts, and the required dance video will be available for students to review and memorize. Additional questions can be emailed to Mrs. Sifers at
Performances will be
November 8 at 6:30 p.m.
November 9 at 6:30 p.m., and
November 10 at 1:00 p.m.
in the Student Activity Center. As a reminder, there will not be a Spring Musical for the 2018-19 school year. Thank you and hope to see you at auditions.
Students participating in volleyball and football may not be able to participate in the musical due to schedule conflicts and playoff dates. Possible playoff dates for both sports are November 8-9, which are opening night and show #2. The musical schedule will be posted. If you think your child can participate in both activities, we encourage you to audition. Students may not miss any day of tech week or any of the performances. Students may only miss two musical rehearsals. Thank you for understanding.
IN-N-OUT FUNDRAISING LUNCH PROGRAM
In-N-Out Ordering for the month of October and the Annual orders (Lunches for October - June) are now open! The meals will be served on Thursdays all year long and available to purchase each month at a time.
October orders are now available until Friday, September 14 by 3:00 p.m.
Annual orders (lunches for October - June) are now available until Friday, September 14 by 3:00 p.m.