Place Your Own Text Here.
A MESSAGE FROM OUR SCHOOL PRESIDENT
We look forward to welcoming you and your children to the 2018-19 school year on Tuesday, September 4. Our administrators, teachers and staff are back and the campus is buzzing with energy.
We can't wait to show you all that has happened here on campus over the summer. Please refer to Monday's Constant Contact, which contained exciting updates and important information about our new chapel and SCLC, as well as information regarding the first day of school.
FAMILY CAR VISOR PLACARDS
On the first day of school for TK - 8 (open house format), your oldest child will receive a white envelope to bring home, which will contain your Family Car Visor Placard(s). These placards are very important in helping us to identify the grade level(s) of your children, which is instrumental for all grades during afternoon pick-up, and during morning drop-off for Preschool, TK and Kindergarten. The placards are colored according to information below:
- Orange - TK and Kindergarten
- Green - Grades 1 and 2
- Yellow - Grades 3-8
These placards are to be used at all pick-up (dismissal) times. As a reminder, the Red placards for Preschool and Orange for TK and Kindergarten must be used for BOTH morning drop-off AND afternoon pick-up.
INFORMATION FOR PRESCHOOL FAMILIES
Preschool families will receive a
Preschool Family Car Visor Placards and instructions for student pick-up and drop-off when they come for their Preschool Orientation.
STUDENT DROP-OFF PROCEDURE TK - GRADE 8
Your undivided attention while driving in and around campus is crucial for the safety of all students and staff! Cell Phone use is PROHIBITED while driving on the school grounds.
For the First Day of School, please follow the information provided in the Constant Contacts from August 13 & 27. For grades 3-8 ONLY, if you choose to drop off your children using the regular morning traffic drop-off, which will run from 8:30-9:00 a.m. ONLY, please see the morning drop-off procedures below:
The Administration strongly encourages all families to participate in our morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up traffic procedures. We have a Security Guard that assists us with our traffic flow and entry onto and off campus. To ensure a safe, effective drop-off and pick-up, we ask you to follow the procedures outlined below:
Morning Drop-off: 7:10 a.m. to 7:40 a.m.
- The driveway entrance off of Antonio Parkway closes at 7:10 a.m. to ALL traffic.
- Cars must enter through the PEB driveway on Avenida de las Banderas which opens at 7:10 a.m.
- Proceed as directed by a Traffic Officer, either continuing on to the inner campus road or stopping in front of the PEB to drop off your children.
- MAKE SURE your children are ready to exit the vehicle, backpacks and lunches in hand, when it is time for them to unload. Please do not exit your car as we have Traffic Officers available to assist your child.
- If you have been directed onto the inner campus, do not stop until the car in front of you has stopped next to the curb on the passenger side. Drop-off on the inner road will be along the back of Building "A"(PEB) and around Building "C" (MEC), back and front.
- Once you drop off your children, wait for direction from a Traffic Officer and then proceed on the inner road to exit campus using the Antonio Parkway driveway. DO NOT attempt to pull around a stopped car in front of you unless directed to do so by a Traffic Officer.
- If you have been directed to stop in front of the PEB to drop off your children, follow the Traffic Officer's instructions as to when to let your children out of the vehicle and then when to proceed to exit back onto Avenida de las Banderas.
Please be aware that traffic will stop as the Serra buses arrive and enter the campus.
Our Traffic Officers will direct you when to stop and drop off your children. For the safety of the students, they must unload from the passenger side (right side) of the vehicle only, onto the sidewalk. Students will walk up the sidewalk and gather at the lunch tables, where they are supervised by school staff members and will have the opportunity to visit with their friends prior to the start of the school day.
At 7:30 a.m. students will be escorted to class. Any children being dropped off after 7:30 a.m. but prior to 7:45 a.m. should proceed directly to their homerooms. Students arriving after the second bell (7:45 a.m.) will be required to go to the School Office for a campus pass. In the event of inclement weather, the children will be directed to proceed to their homerooms as soon as they are dropped off.
Note: Traffic Officers are St. Serra Staff giving their time to the safety of your children, so please show them gratitude and respect.
TK & Kindergarten Drop Off
TK and/or Kindergarten vehicles must display their
orange placard so that they are identified as TK or Kindergarten to all Traffic Officers.
Kindergarten students are dropped off anywhere along the traffic pattern when the car in front of you has stopped to unload.
TK students have the option of being dropped off in the designated Preschool drop-off area located near the PEB stairs/library corner or
anywhere along the traffic pattern when the car in front of you has stopped to unload. Regardless of where you choose to drop off your TK/Kinder students, a staff member will help them find their way
If you wish to drop off your TK student in the designated Preschool drop-off area, please turn on your vehicle's flashing lights as you proceed through the traffic line. It is not necessary for you to exit your vehicle as the staff will assist your child. Please follow the directions of the Traffic Officers to exit back into the flow of traffic.
Extended Care Morning Drop-off: 6:30 a.m. to 7:10 a.m.
Enter the parking lot from Antonio Parkway, park, and walk your child through the gate which is located between the Chapel and the MEC Building "C1" to the Extended Care Room. Sign in with an Extended Care staff member, then return to your vehicle and exit campus the way you came in, via the Antonio driveway.
Late Morning Drop-off: After 7:40 a.m.
The PEB driveway entrance closes at 7:40 a.m. If you arrive after that time, you will need to enter campus from the Antonio Parkway entrance. However, for safety reasons, you will be required to wait until the traffic on the inner road has cleared before being allowed into the parking lot. Once you are allowed entry into the parking lot, drop off your student in front of the main entrance of the MEC Building C3, where they will proceed to the School Office to pick up their campus pass before proceeding to their class. (Refer to Section 704 of the Parent Student Handbook). If you prefer, you may park and walk your child into the School Office for their campus pass.
If your student rides the bus, the buses will be directed to enter campus and stop in Lane 4 next to the field. Students unload on the field side and will then be escorted safely across the pedestrian crosswalk by a Traffic Officer.
STUDENT AFTERNOON PICK-UP PROCEDURE TK - GRADE 8
TK - Grade 2:
2:00 - 2:15 p.m.
11:30 - 11:45 a.m. (Minimum Days)
- Enter the PEB driveway on Avenida de las Banderas which opens at 1:45 p.m.
- DO NOT arrive earlier as this causes major traffic congestion for the neighborhood.
- Place your "orange or green Family Car Visor Placard" on your rear view mirror or visor. (Placards are sent home the first day of the school year.)
- Stop in the PEB drive lanes as directed by the Traffic Officer.
- Students will load from the passenger side (right side) of your vehicle as directed by the Traffic Officer.
- Once the students are loaded you will be directed to move forward and exit back onto Banderas.
NOTE: The parking lot closes to incoming traffic at 2:25 p.m. (Regular Day) and 11:55 a.m. (Minimum Day). The only exceptions are VIP and reserved spots.
Grades 3 - 8
Yellow Placards (
and TK-2 "Lator-Gators"*)
2:40 - 3:00 p.m.
12:05 - 12:35 p.m. (Minimum Days)
* Note: "Lator Gators" are those TK-2 students with older siblings or carpools, who will wait until the later dismissal of the day for departure.
- DO NOT arrive before 2:20 p.m. as you will interfere with the earlier dismissal procedure and will be directed to circle around until all the 2:00 p.m. dismissal traffic has cleared
- Enter the PEB driveway on Avenida de las Banderas
- Place your "yellow Family Car Visor Placard" on your rear view mirror or visor. (Placards are sent home the first day of school every year.)
- Follow the directions of the Traffic Officer as to which lane to proceed to.
- Stop your car and load your children on the inner road staging area
- The names displayed on your placard will be announced so that your children will know to come to your car once traffic has come to a complete stop
- FOR THEIR SAFETY, do not ask your child to approach your car without having been directed to do so by a Traffic Officer
- Proceed as directed by the Traffic Officer to exit the campus through the Antonio driveway
Any student riding a bus in the afternoon will be given a bus tag of the appropriate color that matches his/her bus route. Students must meet their bus (located on the inner road in front of the Library) and will be directed to board the bus marked with the same color as their bus tag.
Special Notes Regarding Pick Up:
- More information on the Permission to Leave Campus Form (aka Walker Form) will be available in the first SerraDIPITY on September 6.
- In the event of inclement weather during afternoon pick-up, pop-up tents will be erected to keep the students as dry as possible. Pick-up procedures will remain the same.
- Never leave your car unattended along the red curb or while in the drop-off or pick-up line once traffic has started, as doing so will interrupt the flow and may block access in the event of an emergency.
- When exiting campus onto Antonio Parkway please use caution and courtesy. An attempt to cross three lanes is dangerous and holds up the entire flow of traffic in the lot. An immediate right hand turn onto Antonio and then a U-turn at Empressa is much safer and would be appreciated by the drivers waiting in line behind you.
- If you have asked someone unfamiliar with dropping-off or picking-up the students,(other family members, babysitter, etc.), please review the procedures thoroughly with them beforehand.
- At NO TIME during morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up are you allowed to be in, drive through or use the Memorial Care Health Facility parking lot. It is private property and off limits to us. They are a private business and need their parking lot for their staff and patients.
- The adjacent neighborhood, Cabrillo Vista, located to the North of the PEB, has a City of RSM Parking Permit Program which is in effect on school days from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Vehicles parked without a valid City-issued permit will be ticketed.
- DO NOT drop your children off in the neighborhood to walk to school. This is very dangerous and against policy.
- At no time may parents/guardians enter the school campus through the Kindergarten driveway.
- In order to maintain a cordial relationship with all the surrounding communities, we ask that you follow all parking restrictions and traffic laws to lessen the disruption to our neighbors. When you do legally park in any of the residential areas, please make sure to be good ambassadors of St. Junipero Serra Catholic School by not blocking driveways, moving or blocking trash cans or leaving trash behind. Always drive carefully, being watchful for children at play. Any family who continually disregards this request is in defiance of the Code of Christian Conduct (Section 402) and could incur consequences.
- Please bring your patience and allow plenty of time, both in the morning and afternoon, for the safety of the students, yourself and the staff implementing the traffic procedures.
Sports Pick-up: Before 2:25 p.m.
Enter via the Antonio driveway, park as directed by the Security Guard and then meet the students in the School Lobby.
Meetings, Spectator Events, Sports Pick-up, and Extended Care Pick-up: 2:25 to 3:05 p.m.
To attend meetings or After-School Activities on campus (including Sports) or to pick up your TK-Two child(ren) from Extended Care, follow the Pick-up Procedures for Grades Three to Eight as outlined above, and park in the Antonio parking lot.
Extended Care Pick-up: At the conclusion of afternoon traffic
Enter through the Antonio driveway, park, and walk through the gate located between the Chapel and Building "C1"(MEC) to the Extended Care Room. Sign your child out, return to your vehicle and exit campus via the Antonio driveway.
For those parents/guardians who choose to walk onto campus to pick up their children, they must enter campus through the gate between the Chapel and Building "C1" (MEC) which opens at 2:30 p.m.
Parking On Campus
Parking is extremely limited on campus. Parents/guardians and visitors to campus may park in the parking spaces marked as "Visitor". SJSC staff members have designated staff parking spaces. Parents/guardians and visitors may only park in those staff parking spaces before 6:45 a.m. and after 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and anytime on the weekend.
NOTE: At NO time may you park in the spots reserved for the President, Principals, or School Chaplain as they are often here for evening and weekend meetings/events. If a staff space is open during the day, it is NOT available to park in. Periodically, staff must leave campus during the school day and will need their space when they return. This is imperative for student safety and supervision. There will occasionally be days when an orange cone is placed in a Visitors Space to reserve that space for a special visiting guest. Please respect the "no parking" cones when in these spaces.
For safety reasons, if you are parked in any of the on-campus parking spaces and the morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up has begun, you must wait until the traffic pattern ends before pulling out of the parking space.
There are "VIP Parking" spaces on campus which are designated with a personalized sign. These spaces have been purchased or won at one of the school's fundraising events, or have been assigned to a parent/guardian volunteer chairing one of our major events. Please DO NOT park in any of these spaces.
One parking space has also been designated for "Pastor Parking." Please respect this space as our Pastors are frequent visitors on campus and can drop in at any time.
SJSC SCHOOL BELL SYSTEM
will ring at 7:40 a.m. to prepare for the close of morning traffic. This bell will also let the students know to proceed as quickly as possible to their homerooms. All drop-off lanes in front of the Primary Education Building (PEB) will be closed and the gate by the Chapel/Extended Care will be locked.
At 7:45 a.m., a second bell will ring
, which will serve as the
start of school. If a student is not in their homeroom by the sound of this second bell, they will be considered tardy and must have a campus pass from the School Office to enter class. If they come to class after the second bell without a campus pass, they will be sent to the School Office to get one. Once Serra Vision has started, the students will be required to wait until prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance has finished for their campus pass as we all stop during that time.
SAPPHIRE LUNCH PROGRAM & SNACK BAR UPDATE
Sapphire Hot Lunch begins Wednesday, September 5
- Welcome Parent Letter from Sapphire at School
- *NEW* NEW*NEW* Ordering System! Create your new account at SAPPHIRE AT SCHOOL portal. View INSTRUCTIONS for setting up your account. You will need your student's Sycamore ID # to begin. Don't remember your Sycamore ID? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (New Families will receive Sycamore ID #s on Thursday, September 6 in their Monthly Envelope.)
- Note: A convenience fee of 4% will be charged each time you pre-load your Sapphire account.
- Orders can be added, changed or canceled up until midnight, the night before the lunch is served!
- Transferring your "my school" account balance? No worries! Contact email@example.com
*NEW* Sapphire Snack Bar & Emergency Lunch Program Launches on Monday, September 10
- Introducing the SAPPHIRE SNACK BAR, which will offer healthier options! Students with accounts will be able to select from a wide variety of healthy snacks to keep their energy up until lunch time.
- View the NEW Sapphire Snack Bar Menu.
- Create your account at SAPPHIRE AT SCHOOL portal. View INSTRUCTIONS for setting up your account.
- Note: Students will no longer be able to walk up with cash to the Snack Bar window to purchase, so please set up your student's Sapphire account today.
- Sapphire will be providing an Emergency Lunch for students which will be charged to a student's Sapphire account. If a student does NOT have a Sapphire account, the student will be served and the parent will be contacted via email from Sapphire.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
We are one united community in Christ -
courageous, kind, humble, and joyful.
So in Christ, we though many, form one body.
- Romans 12:5