The U.S. Center for SafeSport states that
"Education and awareness are the most critical components to creating safe and respectful sporting environments, free of abuse and harassment..."
Maryland State Youth Soccer considers "Safety Above All" and is committed to our mission, vision and beliefs that our youth participants health, safety and well-being are top priority in all that we do and provide to our members.
With this in mind and with respect to
US Soccer Bylaw 212, Organization members are required to, among other obligations, 1) comply with applicable law and, in particular, the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act (the "Sports Act"); 2) if the member recruits, trains, fields or funds soccer players, establish a risk management program to promote the safety and protect the welfare of participants; and 3) adopt policies prohibiting sexual abuse. Effective February 14, 2018, Public Law 115-126, the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017 (the "SafeSport Act", amends the Sports Act, and req
uired applicable amateur sports organizations (as such term is defined in the SafeSport Act, 36 U.S.C. 220530(b))
MSYSA will be implementing the followi
ng critical procedures for the 2019-20 seasonal year.
The following information should be considered
MANDATORY for ALL travel and recreation coaches and volunteers:
Criminal Background Screening:
- Reference Services Inc, (RSI) background check completed by MSYSA through the Stack Sports US Connect system for the 2019-20 seasonal year.
- ALL previous background checks will be expired as of June 30th, 2019
- Required background checks will be valid for up to two years from the initial date of screening after July 1st, 2019
- Affiliate clubs will be billed directly through the Stack Sports US Connect system. The cost for the required background check is $6.50 per individual screened.
- Coaches and volunteers must complete the SafeSport and Heads Up Concussion training prior to an RSI background check being completed by MSYSA.
- Complete the Core SafeSport Training for the 2019-20 seasonal year. Any certificates completed via Abuse Prevention Systems in 2018-19 will expire on July 31, 2019.
- Core SafeSport training is integrated directly to the Stack Sports US Connect system and all NEW COACH AND VOLUNTEER registrations starting now will be automatically linked to the SafeSport website to complete training. You WILL NOT have to upload a certificate after completing the directly linked training through Stack Sports
- All RETURNING (from 2018-19) coaches and volunteers who register prior to August 1st will need to log into their member account ON or AFTER August 1st, 2019 to complete their directly linked SafeSport Training via their member account.
- There is no cost for you to complete the course and upon completion you DO NOT need to upload any document(s)
- For subsequent year you will only be required to take the SafeSport refresher course (20-25 mins)
CDC Heads Up Concussion Training:
- Complete the CDC Heads Up Concussion Training for the 2019-20 seasonal year.
When completing this through the automated email or via your member account log-in, you will complete the free course and then you
WILL UPLOAD/IMPORT the certificate into your member account.
Courses completed from the prior year(s) will expire on July 31, 2019. Again, if you are a returning coach (from 2018-19) with a CDC (or NFHS) certificate on file from last year you will not be prompted to do this until after July 31st, 2019 (similar to the SafeSport training)
Social Security Number:
- When you register for the 2019-20 seasonal year, ALL recreation and travel coaches and volunteers will be prompted to re-enter their VALID social security number.
- SSN# entered MUST be your authentic SSN as issued by the Social Security Administration.
- RETURNING PLAYERS: must use their existing email address or member account so that previously entered player details can roll forward for age ID verification purposes.
- DO NOT create a new member account 2019-20 registrations.
- Ensure that the full legal name of the registered player is used. DO NOT use nicknames or aliases
- We will no longer be accepting the Ministry Safe/Abuse Prevention Systems Sexual Abuse Awareness Training or the NFHS Concussion Training for the 2019-20 seasonal year and beyond.
- Background screenings completed prior to July 1st 2019 will expire and will not be accepted for mandatory coach and volunteer compliance for the 2019-20 seasonal year.
Registration Preparation Checklist:
Have you alerted your coaches and volunteers to all mandatory compliance items?
- Criminal Background Check
- CDC Heads Up Concussion Training
- SafeSport Training
- Headshot photo upload
Have you created your new 2019-20 Registration Events within the US Soccer Connect Club system?
Have you updated your budget for 2019-20 Registration Fees?
- Travel Players - $13.25
- Recreation Players - $7.75