Joint Ways and Means Presentations from last week that may be of interest to you -
On Monday, February, 17, 2020, Ways and Means Human Services heard the following update presentations:
- Child Welfare Director Rebecca Jones Gaston and DHS Director Fariborz Pakseresht provided an update on the child welfare system. Child Welfare Director Jones Gaston shared her vision of child welfare services and supports to put children and prevention at the center of their work.
- Pat Allen and Steve Allen provided an overview of the behavioral health system with the stated goal of providing some context for the Oregon Health Authority’s financial ask.
These investments included $4.9 million dollars to implement Host Homes for children and youth who use IDD Services. Lilia Teninty, Office of Developmental Disability Services (ODDS) Director, educated the committee members that Host Homes fills a critical gap in the continuum of supports for children who:
- need more than DD foster care but not as much as a group home
- are ready to leave a group home but not ready to return home or move to DD foster care
- live in family homes, with wrap-around services
Under a Host Home model, a DD Provider would find and recruit foster families that the DD provider could help by providing additional supports they may need like respite or additional staff in the home.
Lilia also indicated that ODDS is well on its way to implementing the Host Home model:
- Oregon’s federal Medicaid partner, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, have approved the K Plan amendment for Host Homes
- ODDS completed administrative rules to govern the program
- ODDS is currently hiring for a Host Home coordinator
In the future, ODDS will focus on building Host Home capacity in the field and training case management entities on referrals for Host Homes.