April 17, 2020
Dear USJ Families,
When school closure was first announced due to Covid-19, we communicated our plan for on-line learning at USJ. While experiencing a learning curve, we have been very impressed with how our teachers have used this new platform to meet the needs of our students during this trying time and pleased with the patience and support of our families as we have navigated the program together. As we have worked through this, we have continued to gather feedback from faculty and our families, as well as reached out to other independent schools to find out what was working for their stakeholders while planning for the possibility that we may need to implement this system over a longer-term. Due to the current state of affairs, our priority of maintaining the safety and health of our students, and through several meetings of our senior leadership team, USJ has made the following decisions regarding the remainder of the semester:
- USJ will continue to conduct classes through on-line learning via Zoom sessions.
- The following plan will begin on Monday, April 20 for the final five weeks of classes. Our last day for instruction for all divisions will be Tuesday, May 19.
- All school-sponsored activities both on and off-campus are canceled/postponed and the campus remains closed until further notice.
- Our schedule will continue based on the current Zoom calendar for M, T, TH, F.
- For grades 1-12, Wednesdays will be designated as “Office Hours-Work Days.”
- This will give students the opportunity to complete and “catch up” on assigned work.
- Teachers will be working and available from 9-3 for scheduled individual or small group Zoom tutorials; Students may schedule sessions with teachers for additional help or be required by a teacher to attend if they have missed instruction or assignments.
- Teachers will also use this day to plan and hold division/grade level meetings.
- We want to ensure that all students are getting the assistance they need and support our teachers as they continue to enhance instruction and student engagement.
- Kindergarten and the early childhood program will remain on their current schedules.
- Lower School grades and reporting will be accompanied with either a checklist or a narrative report via the end of year report cards.
- Middle and Upper School grades will be assigned numerically as usual, but with the following adjusted formula:
- Semester 1=50% Quarter 3=30% Quarter 4=20%
- Final Exams for grades 6-12 will not be administered.
- USJ continues to be committed to Awards Days and Graduation: Awards will be ordered and prepared as usual. We are planning on holding these events, TBA.
- Our final day of classes for Seniors will remain May 1.
- For now, we are planning on beginning Summer programs as scheduled for June 1.
- We are continuing to evaluate the situation and the school’s timeline for resuming our on-campus early childhood programs.
Thank you for your continued support as we work together to meet the needs of our students.