22 October 2019
In this edition:
- 2019 Fall Event Update - Game time announced - 7:30pm - event schedule set.
- Ballot for Board of Directors, 2020-2021 Term
- Additional Fall 2019 Events Announced
- Social Media Update: Now on LinkedIn
- Now Hear This: Scuttlebutt
- Call for Membership: join and renewal, Membership Roster Update.
2019 Annual Meeting, Reunion and Elections
Set for 2 November 2019
UNC v. Virginia, UNC Military Appreciation Day
Pat Connelly '85, Events Chair
Important: please register for all events you will attend,
yes - even the free ones!
The UNC NROTC Alumni Association has partnered with the
UNC General Alumni Association (GAA)
to conduct reunion event registration. With this partnership, GAA members are provided a discounted rate on the BBQ lunch.
Once you click on the green link below, the registration tab is to the left. A menu of events will appear for which you can individually register. As you close out your registration, the opportunity will be provided to pay via debit or credit card. GAA registration link closes on Sunday, 27 October 2019
The UNC NROTC Alumni Association 2019 Annual Meeting and Fall Reunion is scheduled for 31 October through 2 November
- Thursday, 31 October 2019, 1400-1630: Fall Alumni Panel with the Midshipman Battalion, at the Armory. There is no fee for this event but advanced registration required, please use links above.
- Friday, 1 November 2019, 1830-2100, The President's Reception at the home of Eric and Kim Schneider '86 & '89, 144 Heartland Drive, Pittsboro, NC. Use of Uber/Lyft, car-pooling and designated drivers strongly encouraged. There is no fee for this event but advanced registration is required, please use links above. The menu includes:
- Beef tenderloin sandwiches
- Pimento cheese/vegetable platter
- Carolina Caviar (vegetable based dip)
- Macaroni & cheese fritters
- Assorted desserts
- Beer, wine and coaktails will be served.
- Wine will be provided by Howard Petrea ‘72
- Saturday, 2 November 2019,
- 2:00pm - 4:30pm: The Annual Meeting of the Association, Naval Armory Drill Deck. Agenda includes:
- NROTC Unit update from the Commanding Officer and Professor of Naval Science, CAPT Andy Hertel, USN
- Presentation of the Koster, Ledford and Association Scholarships to three Midshipmen.
- Presentation of the Distinguished Alumnus Award to Lt. Col. James G. Zumwalt, II, USMC (Ret.) '70
- Presentation of the Distinguished Service Award to Association Co-founder, Life Member, Past President and past NROTC Unit CO: CAPT Harold A. "Andy" Bunch, Jr., USN (Ret.).
- Elections for all of the Board of Directors for the 2020-2021 term.
- Reports from officers and committee chairs.
- No fee is charged for this event, advanced registration required for logistics planning, please use links above. Paid membership required to vote for the candidates for election.
- 5:00-7:00pm: BBQ tailgate with the Midshipmen and Staff. Naval Armory Front Lawn. Fee applies, please use GAA registration link above to purchase tickets.
- 7:30pm The Football Game: North Carolina Tar Heels hosts the Virginia Cavaliers at Kenan Stadium. This game is designated as Military Appreciation Day. The scheduled flyover of US Navy EA-18G Growlers from the Scorpions of VAQ-132 may not be possible now that we have a night game. A waiver has been requested from COMNAVAIRLANT but prognosis is poor. Participating Scorpion aircrew include two UNC NROTC Alumni: Squadron Executive Officer: CDR Kerry P. "Beagle" Hicks '02 (our 2002 Connor Award Recipient) and LT Esther "Zuul" Kangas '14.
The UNC NROTC Alumni Association secured a block of tickets in Section 119, for $25 each.
Further information can be found on our website at:
. Please visit often as details and updates will be shared periodically. If difficulties are encountered, please feel free to contact the Events Chair, Pat Connelly '85 at
See the more than 40 UNC NROTC Alumni (graduates and staff) who have already registered for the weekend's events:
- Burton Anderson '87
- Karen Baetzel - Staff Alumna
- James Bailey - Staff Alumnus
- Parke Boneysteele - Staff Alumnus
- Harold A. "Andy" Bunch, Jr. - Staff Alumnus, Past President
- Charles M. Carroll '87
- Terry C. Cline '71 - Treasurer
- Patrick P. Connelly '85 - Director
- Donald R. Cuddington '86
- Debra Boyt Davis '83
- Mark C. Fava '85
- Steven P. Fish '85 - Director, Past President
- Kenneth E. "Pink" Floyd '80
- Robert J. Gionfriddo '86 - Director
- Tim Hastings '88
- John H. Hearne, Jr. '85
- Ed Henkler - Staff Alumnus
- Kerry P. "Beagle" Hicks '02
- David A. Jackson '87 - Director
- Esther "Zuul" Kangas '14
- David and Janet Keech '88 & '89
- Chris Kennedy '87
- Jeff Kennedy '87
- William H. Latham '85 - Director
- Donald R. Ledford - Staff Alumnus
- Steven Levesque '89 - Director
- Frank Linkous '87
- Cesar Lopez '11
- Dan McCormick '91
- Phil McGuinn '82
- Howard Petrea '72
- S. Jay Plager '52 - Director
- Mike Richardson '88
- Robert P. "Pat" Riordan '87 - Director
- Robert Rivers '73
- Bill Rysanek '89
- Eric Schneider '86 - President
- Brian T. Smith '84
- Robert F. Smith '75 - Past President
- Will Stubbs '85 - Secretary
- Frederick L. Swindal, Jr. '71
- Paul Voss '88
- Marianne Waldrop '87
If you are planning to attend one of our events but do not appear on the above list;
we don't know you're coming yet
. We really need the head count!
PLEASE REGISTER USING ONE OF THE LINKS ABOVE
On behalf of your association’s Officers and Board of Directors, I look forward to seeing you this fall for our Annual Meeting and Reunion weekend.
- The hotel with our block of rooms is now full for that weekend. To check for last minute cancellations please contact the hotel directly: Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel (formerly the Hotel Europa), One Europa Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, Tel: 919-968-4900
Ballot for Directors for the 2020-2021 Term,
Now available on the website
Elections for Directors to serve for the 2020-2021 Term will take place on Saturday, 2 November 2019 as part of the Association's Annual Meeting. All fourteen director positions are up for election and eight of the twelve eligible incumbent Directors have expressed a willingness to run for re-election.
Regular paid members (Life, Life Installment, Multi-Year, and Annual) are eligible to serve as a Director.
members are candidates on the ballot to fill the
vacancies, listed alphabetically:
- Terry C. Cline '70 (2nd term)
- James C. Collins '03 (2nd term)
- Patrick P. Connelly '85 (3rd term)
- Donald Cuddington '86 (1st term)
- Steven P. Fish '85 (3rd term)
- Kenneth E. "Pink" Floyd '80 (1st term)
- Robert J. Gionfriddo '86 (3rd term)
- Janet Eberhardt Keech '89 (1st term)
- William H. Latham '85 (2nd term)
- Steven Levesque '89 (3rd term)
- Frank Linkous '87 (1st term)
- Robert P. "Pat" Riordan '87 (3rd term)
- Robert "Moon" Rivers '73 (1st term)
- Brian T. Smith '84 (2nd term)
- Marianne Waldrop '87 (1st term)
- Daniel W. Wright, Jr. '86 (1st term)
If you are a paid member and attending the Annual Meeting on 2 November 2019,
please cast your ballot in person
If you cannot attend the annual meeting, please log on the website using your user name and password; paid members may access the
Ballot for Board of Directors 2020-2021 Term
link. There you will find additional information about the candidates who chose to provide biographies and photographs.
To cast your vote absentee:
- Print the ballot
- Mark the ballot by voting for NOT MORE THAN fourteen candidates. You may vote for fewer than fourteen, but not more than fourteen. Voting for more than fourteen candidates will invalidate the ballot.
- Sign and print your name on the ballot.
- Scan the marked and signed ballot in .pdf format and e-mail to email@example.com for receipt not later than Thursday, 31 October 2019 OR
- Mail the ballot to arrive not later than Thursday 31 October 2019 to
Will Stubbs, Secretary
UNCNROTC Alumni Association
2002 Potomac Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22301
Additional Fall 2019 Events
- The Veterans Day Ceremony is set for Monday 11 November 2019 at 11:10am at the Carolina Alumni Memorial next to Memorial Hall. Alumni are welcome to attend.
- Midshipmen Fall Ball (UNC, Duke and NC State) is scheduled for Friday, 15 November 2019. Interested alumni are invited to contact MIDN Alaya at this email link not later than this Friday 25 October 2019.
- Winter Commissioning Ceremony, Saturday, 14 December 2019. Save the date. Details in next News Bulletin
In addition to Facebook and Twitter, we're now on LinkedIn, please like/follow us on all three!
Now Hear This: Scuttlebutt!
- No new scuttlebutt for this edition. If you have items you wish to include in the next edition, please submit them via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline below.
The final News Bulletin of 2019 expected to publish on Sunday, 24 November 2019. Deadline for input is Friday, 22 November 2019.
Please become a paid member. We need you!
Most Popular option: Life Membership
GREAT VALUE: 5 YEAR MEMBERSHIP
5 years of membership for the price of four!
Click the green bar below to join renew or upgrade.
As of 21 October 2019, the UNC NROTC Alumni Association has 269 paid regular members, which represents ~ 18% of the known living graduates and staff alumni. 197 of the 269 (~75%) are life members. Thanks to the following alumni (in addition to our 197 living Life Members) who have made the commitment of ongoing financial support to our Association.
Life members are listed in order of life membership
Current paid members listed by both class year and alphabetically by last name
New Life members for 2019:
- #210 Melanie Kaye Ahle '04
- #211 Parke L. Boneysteele, Staff '85-87
- #212 George C. Wright '92
- #213 Andrew J. Hoffman '99
- #214 Janice M. Hamby '80
- #215 Caleb R. Gill '19
- #216 Ryan P. Smith '19
- #217 Antonio Howard '19
- #218 Cody Lupo '19
- #219 Parker Simpson '19
- #220 George W. Smith, Jr. '85
- #221 Don DeBragga '74
- #222 Troy Jeff Kennedy '87
- #223 Daniel J. McCormick '91
- #224 Robert J. McCabe '71
- #225 Brian J. Pickett '89
Life installment members
- Christopher J. Hinson '96
- Mikal J. Phillips '97
- David Pardue '09
Five Year Members for 2019:
- Donald R. Ledford - Staff Alumnus
- Kevin L. Martin - Staff Alumnus
- Stephen Matts - Staff Alumnus
- Christopher G. Crowson '56
- A. Earle Garrett, III '56
- George Moseley '61
- Chester H. Wilkinson '61
- F. Norman Christopher '65
- Alan V. Monette '65
- Charles J. Wolfe '65
- S. Harbaugh Moore, III '66
- Thomas W. Wright '66
- Robert Young '67
- Ronald B. Bobo '68
- Bryant Byrd '68
- Irvin W Hankins, III '68
- Ronald N. McManus '68
- Robert J. Shade '68
- Andrew J. Arnold '69
- William O. Leonard, III '69
- David A. Fish '70
- James C. Hardee '70
- James Zumwalt '70
- Robert N. Swacker '71
- James Day '73
- Nick Pulignano, Jr. '74
- Michael Clark '75
- Clifton W. Moore, Jr. '76
- Michael Wellman '77
- Steven Briganti '78
- Anthony P. Donaldson '83
- Thomas Brantley Burgiss '84
- Michael J. Dodick '90
- Kent Oglesby '90
- Robert G. "Butch" Bracknell '93
- James W. Hendley '94
- Michael Carreiro '96
- Bogamir T. Glavan '97
- Kerry P. "Beagle" Hicks '02
- Esther "Zuul" Kangas '14
- Sarah E. Eason '18
- Tatihana V. Moreno '18
- Samir D. Patel '18
- Thomas J. Singley '18
- Alexander H. Stephenson '18
- Bryan M. Towers '18
- Carlos A. Urquilla '18
2019 Annual Members
- Alec Decker '61
- James A. Thompson '64
- Richard Greenamyer '66
- James W. Sturges '67
- Joseph Woods '67
- C. Wesley Morgan, Jr. '70
- Robert W. Etheridge, III '71
- Phillip J. Tate '72
- Robert K. Eby, Jr. '73
- Robert Rivers '73
- Dwight H. Merriam '74
- Margaret E. Karr Jacky '75
- Stephen F. White '75
- Phillip B. McGuinn '82
- Robert E. Smith '82
- James L. Barge '85
- Douglas Montgomery '86
- Richard D. Sampson '86
- Andrew C. Eckert '05
Classes with the most number of Life members: 1985(14); 1986(11); 1959(9); 1987(8)
Classes with most number of total members:1985 (15); 1986(13); 1959 (10), 1970, 1987 and Staff Alumni (8 each);
Classes with no current members: 1962, 2006-2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016.
What do my dues pay for exactly?
Your dues contribution pays for our website, database software, financial management software and the Distinguished Alumnus / Alumna and Distinguished Service Awards; these funds enable us communicate with the graduates so we can host and organize alumni events to support our NROTC Unit and Midshipmen. Dues are for a calendar year.
The Scholarships, Dawson Library and Connor Awards are funded seperately through non-dues contributions.
Events (Annual Meeting & Reunions) are funded on a pay-as-you go basis by event participants.
As a service to our members, we have created a feature on the website available for paid members entitled
The feature may be found on the Alumni Service and Information Resource tabs of the website. Please notify the Secretary if you know of errors or additional alumni who should be listed here.
If you know of a UNC NROTC Alumnus who has passed away, let us know so that this information may be reported in the News Bulletin under "Taps".
UNC NROTC Alumni Association| Email: email@example.com | Website: www.uncnrotcaa.org
STAY CONNECTED please like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, click icon below