September 10, 2021
To Our Second Family,
Hopefully by now you have seen the video and received information about how we will begin taking some intermediate steps toward limited in-person gatherings starting this weekend. With our community reporting some of its highest COVID case counts to date during the pandemic, our leadership team and I believe that we have an especially important obligation to take measured, reasonable steps through these coming weeks.
Please take note of the following guidelines that we have adopted until the current surge of the delta variant eases.
Worship will take place in the sanctuary at 10:15 with capacity limited to a maximum of 100 people in that space. Masks and distancing are required of all people at all times while in the church building. Worshipers should sign up here in advance for contact tracing purposes.
- Everyone who is not vaccinated (by choice or by not being eligible yet) is urged to worship online. Nursery care will not be available at this time.
- Worship will be primarily geared to an online audience (i.e. no congregational singing, responsive readings, etc.). While a limited number of people may choose to come to the sanctuary on Sunday mornings, our strong encouragement is for those who are able to do so, please join us online until our community’s coronavirus cases go down.
For adult Sunday school:
Each class will coordinate its plans for the time and setting for their gatherings. Until current COVID case counts in our community drop below 50 per 100,000 people according to data available through the US Covid Risk and Vaccine Tracker (available here) we will not host indoor Sunday school classes.
- Outdoor meeting accommodations can be made for classes who choose to gather in that manner. Teachers / department directors are communicating with their classes about whether they will meet via Zoom or in an outdoor setting.
Because not all youth are eligible for vaccinations, youth gatherings will be held outdoors with masks required when safe distancing is not available.
- Spiritual formation opportunities will be offered via Zoom at times coordinated by Daniel Johnson with the youth, their families, and their leaders.
None of our children are eligible for vaccinations. Children’s ministry events will be held outdoors with masks and distancing required during those gatherings.
- Children’s Sunday school teachers are coordinating plans with Tanya Mabry for outdoor classes and other means of providing spiritual formation to our children.
Thank you for your continued patience and perseverance in these difficult days. Our leaders and I remain committed to our conviction that we will live by faith and be guided by the most well-informed health information available to us. With that in mind, we are in no hurry to resume every event, activity, and gathering that we typically offer. We have been taking measured steps to get us to this point, and we will continue doing so as the pandemic still persists.
Please continue to watch for updates on our plans and, as always, do not hesitate to contact me with your questions and concerns so that – together – we can continue moving forward in faith.
Grace and peace,