This was an exciting month at Sports Medicine Concepts. We hosted our first Information Friday Session (IFS) on YouTube with a review of the
football helmet, and our
Sports Emergency Care White Paper Session
(SEC-WP) addressed Current Trends in Football Equipment Removal Protocols with SMC Program Director Mike Cendoma presiding over an expert panel that included:
- Mr. Pepper Burruss, Green Bay Packers Director of Sports Medicine
- Mr. Peter Bonadonna, EMT-P and SMC EMS Liaison
- Mr. Jason Emmel, EMT-P with the NY Jets and NY Giants
- Mr. Peter McCabe, ATC, Nazareth College Men's Ice Hockey and SMC In 2Min or Less! instructor
Here, we provide three take-home points from the IFS and SEC-WP programs that all athletic trainers should consider:
- When put through traditional on-field management protocols, the Riddell Speedflex posed no significant challenges during management of a critically injured athlete for well rehearsed medical teams;
- The appropriateness, timing, and location of equipment removal is dependent on many factors, including athlete status, environmental factors, personnel, and the amount of training throughout the continuum of care;
- Medical team emergency action plans, at every level, should call for quickly assessing and stabilizing an injured athlete with the objective of quickly transferring an injured athlete to a more controllable environment.
To learn more visit Sports Medicine Concepts on YouTube to view the IFS and the SEC-WP recording. Be sure to Subscribe or Follow @SpMedConcepts to learn when new content becomes available.
Why don't you plan to join us for SMC's next SEC-WP on Monday, October 31, 2016 as SMC hosts another expert panel to discuss Current Trends in Spine Boarding Protocols! Space is limited for these sessions and sessions typically fill to capacity quickly. These sessions offer 1 BOC CAT A CEU for athletic trainers.
- "I Love Your White Paper CE Sessions!"
- "Thank you for providing these opportunities."
- "Great practical information in a concise time frame"
- "The presenter was great and I really enjoyed the session. The info is practical and to the point. The procedures replicate best practice."