Diets high in carbohydrates have been shown to increase the risk for dementia by as much as 89%, yikes!
Here are 5 recommendations for a happy brain:
- Eggs - contain choline which is a catalyst for sustained memory
- Blueberries - are rich in phytochemicals linked to improvements in learning, thinking and memory, along with reductions in neurodegenerative oxidative stress.
- Cruciferous vegetables - like broccoli and cauliflower are other good sources of choline a B vitamin known for its role in brain development.
- Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of fat, have a number of important health benefits, including appetite reduction and weight loss, improved cognition, increased energy and improved athletic performance (I promote this one ALL the time).
- Limited wine intake - one glass a day or no more than seven drinks a week—has been found to protective against dementia in later life.