1. Hospice care extends life. A study of 4,493 Medicare patients shows that the 47% who received hospice care extended their survival by 81 days (Congestive Heart Failure); 39 days (lung cancer); 21 days (pancreatic cancer); 33 days (colon cancer).
Connor SR, et al. J Pain Symptom Management, 2007
2. Sometimes patients feel they are "disappointing" family because their disease is progressing and sometimes caregivers think they will "disappoint" by needing help. Hospice is a way to help your loved one by providing a safety net under the love and care you already provide.
3. You are entitled to hospice care as a benefit you have already paid for through insurance and Medicare taxes.
4. You and your loved ones deserve every available resource and hospice can assist in coordination of those resources.
5. You can try it for a while to see if it helps. If you're not happy, hospice care can be discontinued at any time!