Dear Lycée Families, 

These summer weeks have gone by with the speed of light and we have passed the midpoint of the summer break. The LFNO team has been in regular communications throughout the summer and had many conversations about re-opening. What our school leaders all have in common is an unwavering commitment to our students, staff, and families, and a strong determination to providing the safest learning environment for our community.

Today, decisions are very hard to make. We can plan for re-opening in August, but we do not yet know what August will look like given the spike in positive cases, and the new restrictive regulations issued by our city and state. Moreover, we are still waiting to hear from the US government about our French teachers, and while we expect the resolution to be announced soon, we are still working with some level of uncertainty. This does not make things easier. 

With all this in mind, we are committed to meet the needs of our students, of our staff, and of the whole community we serve. We know those needs greatly differ and that we may not be able to account for everyone’s specific issues. We ask for your cooperation and patience.

While we prepared comprehensive re-opening plans for the beginning of the school year, we have yet to fully commit to which scenario is best at this moment. 

The two current options on the table are:

Scenario 1 : a hybrid return to school: two days of physical attendance and two remote. Remote electives on Wednesday, when facilities cleaning and sanitation will also take place. This plan, with all details, will be shared with you on Friday. 
Scenario 2 : a remote model with pre-determined synchronous and asynchronous classes. We are planning to have available technology for full implementation; we are hoping to have it  available to all students at the start of the school year.  

A survey will be sent on Friday asking parents to opt for one of the two scenarios.

Note: these or other options may be mandated depending on local or state guidance. Should risk of infection no longer be an issue, we will reopen in full. 

On Friday, July 17, we will share with you the hybrid re-opening plan which may be the one that will be implemented. We want to make it clear, however, that a full remote scenario may be deemed the safest for our teaching and learning community. In fact, on Monday, July 20, NOLA Public Schools is releasing new guidelines and our plans may change accordingly.

Please know that the decisions on these two models have been made with the health and safety of our community in mind after constant and close monitoring on the impact COVID-19 has on our communities. Data is clear and shows that our state and country are far from controlling the disease.


The Leadership Team


Lycée Français de la Nouvelle-Orléans | 504.620.5500 | info@lfno.org | www.lfno.org