7/8/2020 Weekly Update
by Ann Clark, Head of School
Last week, we provided information about the growing support from health organizations around the benefits of children returning to school. "
The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school.
We also shared information from our
VMS Re-Opening Guidance
document which establishes safety protocols for the new school year.
VMS is prepared to start the new school year on Monday, August 17.
In the unfortunate event that circumstances related to Covid-19 require us to close at any point during the year, our intent is to support our community in the following ways:
- Re-open to provide a program, with all safety measures in place, for essential workers and families with parents required to continue working.
- For the balance of the community, we will efficiently pivot to an enhanced distance learning program. We have used what we learned during the spring shelter in place phase, as well as from parent and staff input, to provide a more robust and cohesive curriculum for all levels. Click here for more information.
Virtual Tours of the Classrooms
We are excited to share video tours for you to peruse showing the differences in the classrooms this year as well as all the similarities. I think you'll find in many ways, things will be very much the same.
Click the links to get a peek into each of these program levels:
As mentioned last week, Middle School will function separately from the main building with all classes, meals and childcare on the MS campus. Here are a couple exciting changes:
The Middle School building is currently closed for the summer as some construction is underway to extend it with two outdoor instruction areas. One is being designed to have protection from the elements to allow classes to continue in various weather conditions. We will keep you posted on the progress and provide photos upon completion.
As part of our Middle School 1 to 1 Technology program, each student is issued an electronic device to use for the entire school year. This year, we have the following new, upgraded technology:
- 7th Generation iPad with retina display
- iPad OS 14 that provides a flexible laptop-like workflow
- Logitech crayon pencils for precision and creativity
- Logitech combo case with an attached waterproof keyboard
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution with a new teacher & student collaboration application
We have many optional virtual events coming up to provide current school opening information and answer questions you may have. Please scroll down for important dates and opportunites.