Epilepsy Awareness Day!
Epilepsy is a condition of the nervous system that affects 2.5 million Americans. In fact, every year, more than 180,000 people are diagnosed with epilepsy.
Cause of Seizures:
People have seizures when the brain's normal electrical activity is disrupted by overactive electrical discharges, causing a temporary communication problem between nerve cells.
The most common treatment options are medications, surgery, and adhering to a ketogenic diet.
See which age group could most benefit from a ketogenic diet.
8 Ways to Encourage a Child with Epilepsy
1. Keep a positive attitude.
2. Praise your child's successes and progress.
Refrain from saying things that could make your child feel like a burden.
4. Discuss epilepsy openly with your child and teach them how to talk about it with family and friends.
5. Continue family activities and traditions.
6. Encourage sports, hobbies, friendships, and other interests.
7. Establish healthy routines.
8. Make time for yourself so you are better able to care for your child.
March 26 : Purple Day!
Tube Feeding Supplies
Get Email Updates
International Epilepsy Awareness Day was created by a young Canadian girl with epilepsy named Cassidy Megan.
Cassidy not only wanted to increase awareness through "Purple Day", but also encourage others with epilepsy that they are not alone.
English lavender is a flowering lavender known for its medicinal uses. It symbolizes peace and has a calming, healing effect - everything we want for people living with epilepsy!
Here's what you can do to support Cassidy and others with epilepsy:
Saturday, March 26:
Wear purple, show your support, and help raise awareness of epilepsy!
Star Medical Specialties | 800-368-2065 |
4386 Sunbelt Dr
Addison, TX 75001
Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.