This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it
. Psalm 118:24
In the midst of a stretch of remarkably beautiful weather here in Miami, we are also in the midst of an unprecedented new “normal” that calls upon us to practice patience and prudence. We are all in the same boat. During difficult times, of course, we want to find ways to adapt and thrive. We often find the first step on the path toward solid footing is to be mindful of the things for which we are grateful. We want to begin by expressing our amazement and gratitude for the beauty that surrounds us here in Miami and on our campus.
A brief update on plans here at Plymouth.
- Campus: Given new government guidance, on-campus gatherings are suspended for the immediate future. While our office is open with just a few folks, most of the team is working remotely. However, please come and walk the campus, one of the true gems of Miami. Explore places on this campus you may have not seen before.
- Worship: We will continue to videotape worship each Sunday and email it to everyone, as we did last Sunday (see video). We will also post the video on our homepage and our Facebook page.
- Weekly Communication: One way we will be communicating with you will be through periodic short written or video reflections. Al will do his first video reflection this Thursday from his office, and we will send that to you. Other reflections will be filmed as well, including as we walk the campus.
- Thursday Bible Study: Al will continue with Thursday 8am Bible study via teleconference. Instead of gathering at Berries for breakfast, you’re invited to dial-in and share conversation about the Bible texts for the coming Sunday. Here is the dial-in number: 1-253-215-8782 with Meeting ID: 553720134#. This week’s texts are Isaiah 58:9b-12 and Matthew 5:17-20, as we continue through the Sermon on the Mount.
- Scriptural Questions: In these times, we want and need to turn to the Bible. We find the following website to be very helpful. Just fill in the blank with the topic on which you’d like scriptural guidance: https://www.openbible.info/topics/hope
- Pastors: The easiest way to reach either of us is via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please know that we are here for you.
- Office Questions: You can also reach Zach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lay Leader: Please also know that Moderator, Celeste Miller, is available for you as well at email@example.com.
- Member Connecting: During this time of “social distancing” we want to do everything we can to fend off “social isolation”. We are a church family and we want to stay connected. Needless to say, we encourage everyone to reach out to people they know in the congregation early and often. But we would like to establish an additional process to connect folks, whether by phone or email, etc. To that end, please email Moira if you would like to be part of that ministry.
- Non-Perishable Food: We will continue to collect non-perishable food items for people in need – especially important at this time. Please email Zach to arrange a drop-off time.
- This ‘N That Thrift Shop: Although the shop is closed, we are still able to receive donations of items. Please email Edith Georgi Houlihan at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a drop-off time.
We often use the name “Emmanuel” for Jesus, which means “God with us”. In our faith walk, there is no more important thing to remember about God’s promises than that simple fact. God is with us! Or as we very often say…
there’s no valley so low, no wilderness so vast, no passage so crooked, that God is not already there, waiting to be with you. Amen.
Blessings and love, Al and Moira