Colleagues and Stakeholders,
The New Orleans Business Alliance stands in solidarity with our community in protesting systemic inequity, police brutality, and the destruction of Black and Brown lives and communities.
We believe unequivocally that Black Lives Matter.
Earlier today, our President and CEO, Quentin L. Messer, Jr.,
issued a letter
outlining his thoughts as an economic developer, a father, and a Black man living in America.
Over the coming days, the Business Alliance will offer our team the chance to share their perspectives. Not all of them will be comforting, not all of them will be through the realm of economic development, but in a season where lives are being taken by visible and invisible enemies, we endeavor to honor our colleagues by providing expressions of their individual and collective thoughts.
Our team stands with Quentin, as we look to build an economy that works for the many, not the few. The murders of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd are painted against the backdrop of the biggest public health crisis in a generation, COVID-19. This crisis has been exacerbated by the inequities that exist within our communities, leading to worsened outcomes for people of color. This moment is forcing us, as a nation, to contend with the ills of our world. It is time for change.
As an organization, we are committed to:
- Working to increase economic equity and opportunity for all New Orleanians.
- Using our resources to support and directly partner with businesses owned by people of color.
- Elevating the voices of community members committed to the work of economic equity.
- Using our platform, as a public-private partnership, to create equitable outcomes for our community.
- Using data to inform, educate, and illuminate the issues of economic inequity while working towards solutions.
- Adopting an equity lens within our operational, organizational, and programmatic policies and practices.
- Transforming the local economy so that we are less economically vulnerable in the future.
Moving forward, we will be increasing accountability for ourselves and our partners in terms of visibility, education, and implementation.
Join us as we continue the work to create a future that provides safety, stability, and prosperity for all of us, the people of the United States and citizens of the city of New Orleans.
The New Orleans Business Alliance