This Saturday is Halloween, and Trick-or-Treating will be from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. We should have clear, cool weather for that evening, and while it won’t be a typical Halloween, we’re grateful that this can happen for the kids. I remind everyone to follow all recommended safety guidelines for those handing out treats, including avoiding direct contact with visitors, setting up a station with individually bagged treats, wearing a mask, and washing hands before handling treats.
Also, this Friday night we’ll be presenting a movie at Excursion Park, “The Nightmare before Christmas,” at dusk, not long after 6:00 p.m. If it rains on Friday, the movie will be held on Saturday (Halloween night).
In other event news, the Christmas Extravaganza normally held on Thanksgiving weekend has been canceled. We’ve considered the magnitude of people that show up at this event, and believe it’s in everyone’s best interests not to hold this. We’ve discussed this with the Chamber of Commerce, and they’re in agreement.
We WILL have a parade down Landis Avenue, from 29th to 93rd Street, of course with Santa Claus, which will be held the Friday after Thanksgiving, November 27, at 7:00 pm.
Smile…You’re in Sea Isle!
Mayor Leonard Desiderio
HALLOWEEN EVENTS IN SEA ISLE CITY:
• MOVIE NIGHT : The Tourism Office will host a free Halloween Movie Night at the Excursion Park Band Shell on Friday, October 30, starting at dusk, featuring the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) by Tim Burton – and some treats for the kids. Families are encouraged to wear their favorite Halloween costumes to make the night even more fun! Don’t forget to bring folding chairs. The rain date for the movie is Saturday, October 31 (Halloween Night). For more info, phone 609-263-8687, ext. 101.
• PET COSTUME CONTEST : The Recreation Office is hosting a Halloween Pet Costume Contest in cooperation with the Cape May County Animal Shelter & Adoption Center. To enter, upload a photo of your pet (in costume) to the Sea Isle City Recreation Facebook page or email the photo to email@example.com. Photos must be submitted by October 28. Please include your pet’s name. Prizes will be given to winners. For additional info, phone 609-263-6163 or 609-263-0050.
• DONATIONS FOR ANIMAL SHELTER : To thank the Cape May County Animal Shelter for judging Sea Isle’s Halloween Pet Costume Contest, donations of pet food, towels, cleaning supplies and other items are being accepted at the Recreation Office, 4501 Park Road, Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Donations can also be brought to the Halloween Movie Night at Excursion Park on October 30. For more info about what items are needed, please phone 609-263-6163 or 609-263-0050.
• TRICK-OR-TREAT : Trick-or-Treating will take place in Sea Isle City from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 31. Residents who distribute candy and children who plan to go trick-or-treating are encouraged to follow CDC and NJ Department of Health guidelines for safe Halloween practices, such as limiting contact, not using candy bowls that kids reach into, and wearing face masks (please remember that most costume masks are not a substitute for cloth face masks that cover your mouth and nose). As always, trick-or-treaters should wear brightly colored costumes that don’t drag the ground, and children should never walk alone (small groups consisting of household members are best).
• TRICK-OR-TREAT ROUTE : Local homes and businesses that plan to distribute candy to trick-or-treaters on October 31 are invited to place their addresses on the City’s “Trick-or-Treat Route” so families will know which properties will be giving-out candy. To place your address on the Trick-or-Treat Route, phone 609-263-0050 prior to 3:00 p.m. on Friday, October 30. The list of properties will be viewable on the Sea Isle City Recreation Facebook page on Halloween Day and also displayed on the front doors of the Recreation Office (4501 Park Road) and the Welcome Center (300 JFK Boulevard).
• TRUNK-OR-TREAT : Sea Isle City’s 2020 Trunk or Treat event has been CANCELLED.